The James Bland redevelopment is an 8.5 acre site within the Braddock East planning area and is comprised of five City blocks. A proposal by the Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority (ARHA) and Eakin Youngentob (EYA) for redevelopment of James Bland into a mixed income community was approved by the City Council in October 2008. The approved plan proposed demolition of the existing 194 public housing units and construction of 379 new residential units, of which one third (134 units) will be public housing units and two thirds (245 units) will be market rate units. In addition, the City worked with the developer to purchase a portion of the market rate units for affordable/workforce housing, thus creating a truly mixed income community.
All five blocks of James Bland are located within the Parker Gray historic district. Staff and the applicant worked extensively to ensure the architecture of the new buildings would blend with the existing residences in style and scale. The development was predominately townhouse which is typical of the surrounding neighborhood, but two of the blocks along Route 1 included four-story multifamily buildings. A new City park was created as part of this development. The concept plan for the park was reveiwed by the Parks and Recreation Commission at their September 23, 2010 meeting.
The five block redevelopment is occurring in phases. Final buildout is anticipated to be completed by 2016.
- City Council Docket and staff report
- BAR - Concept Approval
- BAR - Phase 1 Certificate of Appropriateness
- BAR - Phase 2 Certificate of Appropriateness
- BAR - Phase 3 Certificate of Appropriateness (Hearing scheduled for February 22, 2012)
- BAR - Phase 4 Certificate of Appropriateness
- BAR - Phase 5 Concept Review
- BAR - Phase 5 Certificate of Appropriateness (Hearing scheduled for January 25, 2012)
- DSUP, Master Plan and CDD Amendment - Phase 5
- Site Plan
- Concept plan for the proposed city park
- Development Information
- Braddock East page
- Glebe Park Redevelopment
- Development Viewer (search for James Bland - DSUP #2008-0013)