- The South Carlyle Plaza development was awarded the
2014 Traveling Award for Analysis and Planning by the American Society of Landscape Architects, Potomac Chapter. The award recognizes the project's ambitious program of interwoven public parkland, mixed-use development and municipal services. The project harnessed landscape strategies to cap a contaminated site and transformed an elevated parking deck into a vibrant public space that folds down to engage the civic realm through an arrangement of ramps, stairs, stormwater filtration components, and overlooks.
This uncommon combination of program components was triggered by the simultaneous development of plans for a new mixed-use community on the northern half of the site and the expansion of the existing Alexandria ReNew municipal wastewater treatment plant onto the southern half of the site. The resulting plan created an expansive park located over wastewater treatment tanks and an above-grade parking garage creating public space that establishes vital connections in a local network of parkland and trails.
- Information on the formation of the Carlyle/Eisenhower East Design Review Board
2003 Eisenhower East Plan Documents
- Eisenhower East Small Area Plan (April 12, 2003 approved version)
- Eisenhower East Design Guidelines Final (March 2006)
- Carlyle Streetscape Design Guidelines (Updated May 1998)
- Carlyle Coordinated Sign Program (as amended by SUP2007-0107, September 2008)
- Hoffman Coordinated Sign Program (Adopted June 1998)
Other Documents of Interest
- Dec. 2002 - Analysis of Market Potentials for Office and Retail Space Eisenhower East Corridor
- Oct. 20, 2006 - Eisenhower East Implementation Schedule
- Dec. 2010 - Carlyle Retail Study
- Previous DBR Meeting agendas and presentations
- July 21, 2016
- June 23, 2016
- April 21, 2016
- March 17, 2016
- Pre-2016 Meetings
Contact Gary Wagner, Principal Planner, 703.746.3818.