“Small business zoning” is the term the City has been using for periodic initiatives to identify Zoning Ordinance regulations related to small businesses that may no longer be necessary, because either there is no longer significant potential for off-site/neighborhood impacts or because those potential impacts can be handled through an administrative review rather than a full public hearing. Potential amendments could offer City-based businesses opportunities to save time and money by reducing the amount of City review time and application costs, increasing the number of business friendly locations and modernizing language in the City's Zoning Ordinance.
In 2019, due to the changing nature of the city and the economic
and business landscape, City Council directed staff to study another round of
potential updates related to small business zoning. Staff began working on
small business zoning updates in October 2019 with a goal of bringing proposed
revisions to the Zoning Ordinance to hearing in the spring of 2020.
- Presentation to Planning Commission - October 3, 2019
- City of Alexandria Business Tax Branch - business licenses and taxation
- Alexandria Small Business Development Center
- Alexandria Economic Development Partnership
- Zoning & Code terms and definitions to help you get started
- Forms and applications
- Contact Planning and Zoning staff in the City's Permit Center, 703-746-4333.