- Fall 2016 West End Development Bulletin
The West End Bulletin will be published by the Department of Planning and Zoning three times per year. Projects featured in the newsletter are west of Quaker Lane in the city's West End.
- National Industries for the Blind
The nearly one-acre site for the new National Industries for the Blind headquarters is located on the northwest corner of Potomac Avenue and E. Glebe Road. The building will anchor the “Town Center” section of Potomac Yard and is located across from the site of the future Potomac Yard Metrorail Station. The site includes approximately 90,000 square feet of office and medical office and 10,000 square feet of ground-floor retail. The building is currently under construction with occupancy anticipated in 2018.
- Carlyle Plaza Two: South Residential Tower
The south residential building is the first phase of Carlyle Plaza Two, a development plan originally approved in June 2012 that will ultimately include four towers with a mix of residential, office, and the option for a hotel. The proposed south residential building is a 34-story tower and parking garage which includes a 4-story low-rise townhome liner building. A portion of the parking garage will include an elevated green roof, which will connect to the new recreation field adjacent to Alexandria Renew. The site is bounded by Holland Lane to the east and Bartholomew Street to the west. The tower is oriented so the long facades face east and west. Construction of the approximately 400,000 square foot building and 105,000 sf garage is anticipated to begin in FY 2018.
Active and Recent Development Projects and Future Development Areas
- Active and Recent Development Projects
- Information about commercial and residential development projects and areas in the city
- City's Master Plan
- Community Involvement
- Design Principles, Guidelines, and Committees - citywide and for specific areas
- Development Review Process Brochure
- Dockets, Webcasts, Staff Reports
- GIS Planning and Development Viewer: Find active planning efforts, development project case information, zoning, and Special Use Permit (SUP) documentation.
- Green Building in Alexandria
- Guidelines for Preparation of Mock-Up Panels
For projects with a Development Site Plan (DSP) or Development Special Use Permit (DSUP), the Department of Planning and Zoning requires applicants to construct a mock-up panel which includes samples of all building façade materials prior to final material selection. This memorandum establishes guidelines for the preparation, construction, review and approval of the mock-up panel and includes examples of mock-up panels approved by staff and design review boards.
- Planning Commission and City Council Filing Deadlines and Hearing Schedule
- Rezoning Criteria Adopted by City Council December 2010
- West End Development Newsletter - April 2016
- Zoning Ordinance
- Code Administration - Permit Center
- Code Administration - Site Plan Review Unit
- Office of Housing
- Transportation and Environmental Services
Past Development Projects
this page for information on past development projects.
Department of Planning and Zoning
301 King Street, Suite 2100
Alexandria, Virginia 22313 (map)
Office hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm
All Development Staff can be reached at the above phone number:
- Sara Brandt-Vorel, Urban Planner
- Maya Contreras, Principal Planner
- Bill Cook, Urban Planner
- Stephanie Free, Urban Planner
- Dirk Geratz, Principal Planner
- Nathan Imm, Urban Planner
- Rob Kerns, Division Chief
- Ryan Price, Urban Planner
- Nathan Randall, Urban Planner
- Michael Swidrak, Urban Planner
- Gary Wagner, Principal Planner