PLEASE NOTE: Zoning staff usually available in the Permit Center can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by leaving a message at 703.746.4333. Your email or call will be promptly returned. Please direct Inquiries related to Special Use Permits, Subdivisions, Encroachments and Vacations to PZnondevelopment@alexandriava.gov
- Temporary Outdoor Business Permits
Restaurant, retail and fitness businesses may operate in on-street parking spaces, on sidewalks or in parking lots through Department of Planning & Zoning approval of a temporary outdoor business expansion permit. Requests must be reviewed by the Department of Planning & Zoning prior to setting up the alternative areas for outdoor dining, retail display and sales and fitness business use. There is no fee for these requests. The programs are in effect until January 1, 2022 and may be extended or shortened upon a decision by the City Manager. For restaurants, retail businesses and fitness use applications, contact Alexa Powell at email@example.com. Forms can be accessed below:
- COVID-19 Coronavirus-Related Enforcement Changes for Small
- To support local business and
access to food, the City has temporarily suspended enforcement of the following regulations and special use permit
conditions that limit hours of operation, business deliveries and off-premises
alcohol sales. The City will also begin work on legislation to implement
temporary or, where appropriate, permanent changes to the City Code to allow
- Restaurant Deliveries and Pick-up: Suspended enforcement of delivery regulations in order to allow all restaurants to provide delivery service and pick-up service. Delivery vehicles and customer pick-ups may use on-street parking subject to posted parking requirements.
- Hours of Operation: Suspended enforcement of hours-of-operation restrictions on restaurants, convenience stores, catering operations and automobile service stations (gasoline stations).
- Sidewalk/Parking Lot Vending: Restaurants and retail establishments may vend on adjacent on-street parking spaces, sidewalks or parking lots.
- Off Premises Alcohol
Sales: Suspending enforcement of local restrictions on alcohol sales,
including off-premises alcohol sales and delivery. Business remain subject to
all VABC licensure requirements.
- To support local business and access to food, the City has temporarily suspended enforcement of the following regulations and special use permit conditions that limit hours of operation, business deliveries and off-premises alcohol sales. The City will also begin work on legislation to implement temporary or, where appropriate, permanent changes to the City Code to allow these activities.
Board of Zoning Appeals
The Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) hears requests for variances, special exceptions and appeals. The BZA holds monthly public hearings in the City Council Chambers at 7:00 p.m. on the 2nd floor of City Hall.
- Meetings and Agendas
- 2022 Filing Deadlines and Hearing Schedule
- 2021 Filing Deadlines and Hearing Schedule
- FY 2020 Board of Zoning Appeals Annual Report
- FY 2019 Board of Zoning Appeals Annual Report
Special Use Permits
Uses listed in the Zoning Ordinance as Special Uses require either an administrative or public hearing Special Use Permit (SUP) before they can be established. Forms are available below to apply for SUP approval.
- Meetings and Agendas
- Planning Commission Hearing Schedule and Filing Deadlines
- Information on the Special Use Permit Process
Zoning Initiatives and Resources
- Zoning Ordinance
- City Charter and Code
- Confederate Street Renaming Pilot Program Policy and Procedures
- King Street Outdoor Design Guidelines
- Multifamily Parking Standards for Development Projects
- Small Cell Wireless Facilities
- Street Naming and Renaming Policy - June 2020
Department of Planning and Zoning
Land Use Services Division
301 King Street, Suite 2100
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Office hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm