- March 1, 2017: The Four Mile Run Wetlands Restoration project won first place in the Best Habitat category of the 2017 Best Urban BMP in the Bay contest! The Best Urban BMP in the Bay Award contest (BUBBA) recognizes the best urban BMPs that have been installed in the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
- Mount Vernon Village Center Update: This site was approved for redevelopment by City Council in December 2011 for a 53,000sq. ft. mixed-use development with 478 residential units, retail, underground parking, and associated infrastructure and streetscape improvements. The applicant returned to public hearing in May 2015 to request a three-year extension for the approval. City Council approved the extension. In January 2016, the owner of Mt. Vernon Village Center opted not to redevelop at this time, but to list the property for lease with the intent of filling the individual tenant spaces. Façade and parking lot improvements are planned. Retail brokers, Dochter & Alexander, have been hired by the property owner to begin marketing the Center for lease. The project is known as Del Ray North. My Organic Market (MOM’s) will be renovated and expanded (nearly double the current space), leaving 35,000sf of additional retail.
The Hume Springs Citizens Association’s Thursday Night Tutoring Program was awarded first place for ‘Project of the Year’ at the Virginia Statewide Neighborhood Conference in September. The Virginia Statewide Neighborhood Conference Annual Neighborhood Awards Program recognizes the accomplishments of outstanding neighborhood organizations and civic individuals from across the Commonwealth who work to enhance the quality of life in their communities.
- Read the submission nominating the Thursday Night Tutoring Program
- Four Mile Run Restoration Project Information
In June 2000, a Task Force comprised of community representatives, residents, and business owners was created to assist in the planning for the redevelopment of key sites in the Potomac West area north of Glebe Road, in the neighborhood known as Arlandria. The Task Force identified a vision for the overall area and for two key redevelopment sites, the Safeway/Datatel site and the East Reed Avenue site. Following this work, it was recognized that there were other community concerns that had not been addressed and that there was a need and desire for a long-range plan for the remainder of the commercial property fronting on Mount Vernon Avenue in Arlandria. At the direction of City Council, in January 2002, the City Manager convened the Upper Potomac West/Arlandria Work Group to identify and address the community concerns as well as to advise and assist Department of Planning and Zoning staff in the preparation of the action and vision plans. The Work Group developed an action plan to address neighborhood concerns and issues in the immediate, mid and long term, and a long-range vision plan to guide both redevelopment of the key "opportunity sites" in Arlandria and infill development activities on other commercial sites on Mount Vernon Avenue as set forth in "A Long-Term Vision and Action Plan for the Arlandria Neighborhood."
Known collectively as the " Arlandria Neighborhood Plans," the Plans were adopted by City Council in June 2003. Broadly stated, the goal of the Plans is to build on the strength of Arlandria as a pedestrian-oriented, mixed use place, encouraging the redevelopment of underutilized sites such as Safeway/Datatel. The Plans consist of two complementary redevelopment plans for the greater Arlandria neighborhood that provide a blueprint for present and future development activities in Arlandria; an interim marketing strategy to strengthen existing businesses and attract new businesses that will both improve the market and encourage redevelopment activities; retail guidelines to improve individual storefronts; and, an action plan to address community concerns with an implementation schedule for immediate, mid and long term improvements.
A Long-Term Vision and Action Plan for the Arlandria Neighborhood (Arlandria Neighborhood Plans)
- June 2001 - Upper Potomac West (UPW) Task Force Report
- Arlandria Retail Potential
- Report on Development Feasibility Analysis: Safeway Site, 221 West Glebe Road
Status of Implementation Reports
- Implementation Matrix Reports
- Facade and Streetscape Improvement Guidelines for Arlandria
- Mount Vernon corridor from Four Mile Run to Glebe Road
- Mount Vernon corridor south of Glebe Road to Herbert Street
Past Meetings and Events
- Friday, July 22, 2016 - Arlandria Quality of Life Walk
- Community members joined City staff for the Annual Arlandria Quality of Life Walk to collectively walk the Arlandria neighborhood and observe and document areas or issues that need to be addressed or improved. Departments will follow up on any issues related to public health, safety, and welfare per each department’s internal policy and practice.
- Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group Meeting #15 - Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 7:00pm, Cora Kelly Elementary School Library, 3600 Commonwealth Avenue
- 2015 Quality of Life Walk - July 24, 2015
In July of this year, community members joined City staff for the Arlandria Quality of Life Walk. This annual event is designed for staff and residents to survey the area and determine any needed improvements to the streetscape, signage, open spaces, and matters related to public health, safety and welfare.
- Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group Meeting #14 - Monday, November 17, 2014, 7:00pm, Cora Kelly Recreation Center, 25 W. Reed Ave.
- 2014 Quality of Life Walk - July 18, 2014
- A Joint Meeting of the Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group and the Four Mile Run Joint Task Force was held on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 at 7pm, at the Conservancy at Four Mile Run Park (4109 Mt. Vernon Avenue). The purpose of the meeting was to provide updates and promote discussion on Four Mile Run Restoration Projects (including construction phasing for the demonstration project), Four Mile Run Park Citywide Plan, private development projects in Arlandria (including Mt. Vernon Village Center and Four Mile Run Pump Station Upgrade), and the Oakville Triangle Planning Process.
- In Mid-December 2013, the City lifted the overnight parking restriction at the public parking lot located at 3612 and 3700 Mt. Vernon Avenue. The purpose of this change is to provide additional residential parking spaces for Arlandria residents. For additional details, including the rationale and community vetting process, please read the
Memorandum to the Arlandria Advisory Group .
- Annual Status of Implementation Open House, Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 6:30PM at Cora Kelly Recreation Center
The purpose of the open house was to provide an update to the Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group and the Arlandria community on activities that occurred during the prior 12 months to implement the
2003 Arlandria Action Plan.
- Arlandria Community Open House, Sunday, June 2, 2013, 11am - 1pm, Four Mile Run Park Community Building
The purpose of the Community Open House was to bring together members of the Arlandria Action Plan Implementation Advisory Group and the larger community to learn about activities that further the implementation of the 2003 Arlandria Action Plan.
- Arlandria Quality of Life Walk - May 31, 2013
- Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group (AG) #11 - Thursday, November 29, 2012; 7PM; Cora Kelly Recreation Center (25 W. Reed Avenue)
The purpose of Meeting #11 was to discuss updates on FY13 projects, showcase a local community organization, and learn updates on local development projects.
- City Council Legislative Session Presentation on the Arlandria Status of Implementation Report (2011-2012 Activities)
On Tuesday, September 11, 2012, City Council received the Arlandria Status of Implementation Report on activities occuring between 2011-2012. City Staff and members of the Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group provided councilmembers with an update on past accomplishments and recommendations for future implementation activities.
- 2012.09.11 City Council Legislative Hearing - Cover Memorandum
- 2012.09.11 City Council Legislative Hearing - Arlandria Status of Implementation Report
- 2012.09.11 City Council Legislative Hearing - Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group Roster
- 2012.09.11 City Council Legislative Hearing - PowerPoint Presentation
- Arlandria Actoin Plan Advisory Group (AG) Meeting #10 - Monday, August 6, 2012; Cora Kelly Recreation Center (25 W. Reed Avenue)
The purpose of this meeting was to discuss the Draft 2012 "Status of Implementation Report" and to provide an opportunity for the Advisory Group to provide input on future implementation activities.
- "Status of Implementation" Open House - Wednesday, June 20, 2012; Cora Kelly Recreation Center (25 W. Reed Avenue)
Community Open House from 6:00PM - 7:00PM
Arlandria Advisory Group Meeting 7:00PM– 8:45PM
The meeting agenda included updates on implementation efforts that have occurred over the last 14 months related to the Four Mile Run Park Expansion project, infrastructure projects, development activities, and business retention and recruitment efforts. In addition, meeting attendees will be invited to participate in a group exercise to identify priorities for future implementation efforts that could influence future Arlandria Neighborhood-related Capital Improvement Program Projects.
- Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group (AG) Meeting #8 - Tuesday, January 31, 2012; 7PM-8:45PM; Cora Kelly Recreation Center (25 W. Reed Ave, Alexandria, VA)
The Advisory Group participated with City staff in a discussion on implementation activities, Arlandria Neighborhood - related CIP projects, and other community initiatives. SPANISH LANGUAGE Translation Services were provided.
- Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group (AG) Meeting #7- Thursday, September 22, 2011; 7PM
Meeting #7 of the Arlandria Action Plan AG was held at the new Four Mile Run Park Community Building (4109 Mt. Vernon Avenue). Meeting attendees learned about status of the Four Mile Run Park Expansion project, the new Arlandria-Chirilagua Business Association, and FY12-FY21 capital improvement projects identified for the Arlandria neighborhood. The AG provided input to the FY12-FY21 CIP projects and accepted new members to its Executive Commitee.
- What's New in Alexandria Video -- June 2011 video describing progress on the Arlandria Action Plan and Four Mile Run Restoration Project
- Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group Meeting #6 - Thursday, June 2, 2011.
This was the fourth meeting of the Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group. The meeting agenda included presentations from staff on implementation activities, CIP projects, and citizen-led activities.
- City Holds Grand Opening Ceremony for the Four Mile Run Park Community Building - May 15, 2011
On Sunday, May 15, 2011, the public, city staff, and others joined Mayor William D. Euille and members of City Council to celebrate and dedicate the opening of the renovated community building located at 4109 Mount Vernon Ave. The City acquired the building (former Duron Paint store) and the open space properties at 4109-4125 Mount Vernon Ave., in January 2007 as part of the City's Open Space Program. In June 2010, a Special Use Permit was approved to convert the old paint store into a community building for public use. The newly renovated building will be open seasonally and will feature a new, large entrance and stage area on the north side, accessible restrooms, a small workroom, and a large open area. The Department of Recreation, Parks, and Cultural Activities will begin taking space reservations for the building on June 1, 2011. The City is grateful to Whiting Turner and Sherwin Williams/Duron Paint for the donation of their time and materials, as well as a large number of citizens and local groups who volunteered their time to renovate the building and improve the surrounding space.
- City Council Hearing - April 12, 2011. At the hearing, City staff made a presentation to City Council to update members on Arlandria Action Plan implementation activities and present the "Status of Implementation Report"
- Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group Meeting #5 - Wednesday, February 16, 2011, 7:00PM – 8:00PM at St. Rita Parish Center (3825 Russell Road, Alexandria, VA 22305)
This was the fifth meeting of the Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group and its purpose was to allow the AG to provide a recommendation for expending current funds in the Arlandria CIP and to discuss governance. The AG reached a consensus to use Arlandria CIP funds for the Four Mile Run Park Expansion project. They also reached consensus to create an "Executive Committee" that will work with staff to provide feedback, raise issues, and assist in meeting agendas. Members of the executive committee are Kevin Beekman, Kristin Langlykke, and Melissa Russell.
- Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group Meeting #4 - Wednesday, January 19, 2011 at 7:00PM at St. Rita Parish Center, 3825 Russell Road, Alexandria, VA 22305.
This was the fourth meeting of the Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group. The meeting agenda included presentations from staff on intersection improvements, Four Mile Run Park expansion, and the Arlandria CIP.
- Planning Commission Hearing - December 7, 2010.
City staff made a presentation to Planning Commission to update members on Arlandria Action Plan implementation activities.
- Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group "Status of Implementation" Open House Meeting, AG Meeting #3 - Tuesday, November 2, 2010; 6:00-9:00PM
A "Status of Implementation" Open House was held to discuss the progress of City staff and community members efforts to implement the recommendations of the 2003 Arlandria Action Plan and additional City Council work tasks. The Open House began at 6:00PM and the formal meeting began at 6:30PM. The meeting agenda included presentations from staff on land use and zoning, intersection improvements, Four Mile Run Park expansion, small business and retail outreach, and an overview of implementation activities to-date. Architects Anonymous made a presentation on current concepts for the Four Mile Run Park expansion. Members of the community made a presentation on the Four Mile Run Farmers and Artisans Market. Members of the Advisory Group were asked to provide input to recommendations for future implementation work in Arlandria.
- City Council Hearing - Saturday, June 12, 2010
City Approves the Four Mile Run Park Community Building
City Council approved the Special Use Permit application for a community building at 4109 Mt. Vernon Avenue, previously the Duron Paint Store. The Alexandria Planning Commission recommended approval of the SUP on Tuesday, June 1, 2010. The application and public hearings were required to allow a public/community use in the building. Approval of the SUP allows for community use of the building for events and activities. In conjunction with the new use, and prior to its public use, the building will be renovated to provide for open air, seasonal use only and to address related Code requirements.
- Arlandria Developer Forum, AG Meeting #2 - Monday, May 17, 2010; 7:00-9:00PM.
The Department of Planning and Zoning, in collaboration with the Alexandria Economic Development Partnership, hosted the Arlandria Developer Forum on Monday, May 17th, 2010 at the Birchmere (3701 Mt Vernon Ave). The goal of the forum was to promote discussion about the opportunities and challenges to redevelopment in Arlandria. This meeting was part of the Arlandria Action Plan implementation process. Program Panelists: Steve Moore, Washington Economic Development Partnership, Cameron Pratt, Foulger-Pratt, Jair Lynch, Jair Lynch Development Partners, Stewart Bartley, Y-12 Investments, Danny Abramson, Abramson Properties.
- Meeting Video
- Developer Forum Agenda
- Arlandria Developer Forum Meeting Notes
- Developer Forum Panelists Professional Biographies
- Arlandria Neighborhood Quick Facts
- Arlandria Market & Demographic Information
- Arlandria Regional Context Map
- Arlandria Neighborhood Zoning Map
- Arlandria Business Corridor Map
- Development Along Mt. Vernon Ave Map
- Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group Meeting #1- Wednesday, February 17, 2010.
This was the first meeting of the Arlandria Action Plan Advisory Group.
- City Council Docket Item
- Planning & Zoning Department Presentation
- Architects Anonymous Presentation
- Wayfinding District Marker Overview
- Wayfinding Sign Face Detail
- Wayfinding Directional Header Details pg. 1
- Wayfinding Directional Header Details pg. 2
- Safeway Datatel Feasibility Report
- Transportation & Environmental Services Presentation - Intersection Improvements
- Link to Four Mile Run Project City Webpage
- Intersection Improvements Community Meeting - September 23, 2009.
A community meeting to review options for the West Glebe Avenue and West Reed Avenue with Mount Vernon Avenue.
- Arlandria Code Compliance Community Walk - April 23, 2009. Meeting Materials.
The purpose of this event is to walk the area of Mount Vernon Ave. from the 3800 block to the 4100 block and identify any quality of life issues and/or code compliance matters. Flyer
- Community Meeting regarding development feasibility of the Safeway Site - October 2008.
Meeting to discuss the findings of an analysis of the feasibility of redevelopment of the Safeway site at 221 West Glebe Road. Analysis was conducted in accordance with a condition of an SUP for a restaurant at the former Safeway site at 221 West Glebe Road.