Braddock Implementation Advisory Group Vacancies
The City of Alexandria is seeking applicants to fill two at-large vacancies (one neighborhood-at-large and one area developer-at-large) on the Braddock Implementation Advisory Group.
All applicants must submit a completed application and a short professional biography and/or resume to the Department of Planning and Zoning no later than 5 p.m., Wednesday, December 20. Applicants should forward application materials to Katherine Carraway, Department of Planning and Zoning, 301 King Street, Room 2100, Alexandria, VA 22314.
The Braddock Implementation Advisory Group was created in 2009 to provide input to City staff on the implementation of the recommendations within the 2008 Braddock Metro Neighborhood Plan. The link to the complete Memorandum establishing the group is here.
Braddock Implementation Advisory Group and Community Meeting Materials
Braddock Interim Open Space and Proposed 1-Acre Park
- The framework and recommendations in the
Braddock Metro Neighborhood Plan (March 2008)
are based on seven guiding principles:
- Create a sense of place/neighborhood identity, vitality and diversity.
- Provide walkable neighborhoods that are secure and feel safe.
- Establish a variety of community serving, usable open spaces.
- Encourage community-serving retail and services.
- Promote mixed-income housing and follow an open, fair and inclusive process to de-concentrate public housing.
- Manage multi-modal transportation, parking and road infrastructure.
- Achieve varying and transitional heights and scales.
- The Braddock East Master Plan, approved by City Council on October 18, 2008, expands upon the fifth principle listed above - to promote mixed income communities through the redevelopment of the existing public housing sites within the Braddock East planning area.
- On February 2, 2009, City Council established the Braddock Metro Neighborhood Plan Implementation Advisory Group (BIAG) to assist City staff in implementing the recommendations of both the Braddock Metro Neighborhood and Braddock East plans.
- On June 9, 2009, City Council adopted the establishment of the Braddock Open Space and the Braddock Community Amenities Fund Accounts and approved a formula for developer contributions. A link to City Council's action docket is available by clicking here.
- Braddock Implementation Advisory Group Membership Changes
- On November 11, 2014, the City Council approved a recommendation to alter the membership of the Braddock IAG to include representation from a newly formed civic association - Braddock Metro Citizens' Coalition (BMCC). The expanded roster provides the group with two representatives. The BMCC will select its representatives to the Braddock IAG.
- During the April 14, 2016 BIAG meeting, members unanimously agreed to revise their At-Large vacancy appointment process adopted by the group in 2012. The previous process included a step wherein members of the BIAG review and provide comments on applicants. The new
appointment process follows a more typical City process, omitting the BIAG review.
Resources and Documents
- Alexandria Master Plan: FY 2017 Status of Implementation Report
- City of Alexandria Partners with Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority: Planning for Alexandria’s Future Housing Needs (RFP #14-02)
- Braddock Road Metrorail Station Joint Development Analysis
- Final Braddock Metro Neighborhood Plan - March 29, 2008 |
BMNP Errata Sheet - March 29, 2008
- Press Release
- Braddock Metro Neighborhood Plan Archive page
- Braddock East Plan Archive Page
- Council Docket 2009-02-02 Establish Braddock Implementation Advisory Group (Resolution 2319)
- Council Docket 2009-06-09 Establish Fund Accounts
- City Staff Memo to City Council - BMNP Park Update
- Braddock IAG Replacement Process
- City Council Resolution - Reconfigure BIAG - November 2014
- Fayette Streetscape - Contact Daphne Kott, Department of Project Implementation, 703.746.4055 or Nathan Imm, Department of Planning and Zoning, 703.746.3845
- Braddock Gateway - Contact Ryan Price, Department of Planning and Zoning, 703.746.3847
- Andrew Adkins Redevelopment - Contact Dirk Geratz, Department of Planning and Zoning, 703.746.3185 or Ryan Price, Department of Planning and Zoning, 703.746.3847