- Phase II of the Long Range Educational Facilities Plan will begin in Spring 2016, led by ACPS with support from City departments. The focus of Phase II will be middle and high school capacity needs, as well as the potential for a centralized pre-K facility. The school enrollment trends and forecasts work was completed in Phase I. Stay tuned for more information.
For more information, contact Katherine Carraway, Planning and Zoning, City of Alexandria, 703.746.3855 or the Educational Facilities Department, Alexandria City Public Schools, 703.619.8038.
Background - Phase I
In 2012, a 19-member work group was established and was comprised of members from the community, ACPS School Board, City Council, Campagna Center, and the PTA Council, supported by ACPS and City staff. The work group met quarterly to explore the major issues impacting public school facilities over the long term and to guide staff in the development of a Long Range Educational Facilities Plan for consideration by the School Board and City Council.
- Work Group Members
- Joint COA/ACPS Work Program
- LREFP Work Program Supplement
- LREFP Update - October 15, 2012
On Tuesday, June 23, 2015, City Council endorsed the Long Range Educational Facilities Plan following the ACPS School Board's adoption on Thursday, June 11, 2015. At that time, the School Board added a new recommendation (#12) in the Executive Summary.
- Community comments received during the online engagement period for the Draft Long Range Educational Facilities Plan - May-June, 2015
- Adopted ACPS Elementary School Educational Specifications - January 29, 2015
- Adopted ACPS Middle School Educational Specifications - January 29, 2015
Long Range Educational Facilities Plan Work Group - Phase I
- Work Group Members - Phase I
- Visit this page for previous Work Group meeting materials related to Phase I
LREFP Work Group Subcommittees - Phase I
In an effort to conduct the in-depth research and analysis necessary to address the program's goals, work group members served on subcommittees formed for each work plan element (see below). Both City and ACPS staff with expertise in a subcommittee's area of responsibility supported work group members in their role.
- Subcommittee Members - Phase I
- Enrollment Forecasts/Demographics Subcommittee - Phase I
- Facility Capacity Needs Analysis Subcommittee - Phase I
- Educational Specifications/School of the Future Subcommittee - Phase I
- Student Assignment - Phase I