The five member Urban Design Advisory Committee (UDAC) was established by City Council in July 1994 to review development plans for compliance with the Urban Design Guidelines of Old Town North. Applications are brought to UDAC on an as-needed basis and are discussed during public meetings. The Committee provides comments to applicants and staff to guide proposals; and, ultimately, makes a recommendation to the Planning Commission and City Council. Membership consists of two residents representing the Old Town North residential community, two representatives of the Old Town North business community and one qualified professional skilled in urban design, architecture or landscape architecture.
City Staff Contacts: Department of Planning and Zoning, 703.746.4666
- Upcoming Advisory Committee meetings:
- Wednesday, September 21, 9 a.m.
City Hall, 301 King Street, Sister Cities Room 1101
- Wednesday, September 21, 9 a.m.
- An expansion is proposed for the Best Western Old Colony Inn at 1101 N. Washington St. and will be heard at the May 3rd, 2016 Planning Commission meeting and the May 14th City Council meeting. For information, contact Dirk Geratz (email@example.com or 703.746.3815)
- A new hotel proposed at the site of the current Towne Motel, 800 N. Washington St. was approved at the January 5th, 2016 Planning Commission meeting and the January 23rd City Council meeting. For information, contact Dirk Geratz (firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.746.3815)
- A mixed-use development proposed for the block located at 530 First St (current site of Virginia ABC Store and former Giant Grocery) was approved at the March 1st, 2016 Planning Commission meeting and the March 12th City Council meeting. For information, contact Maya Contreras (email@example.com or 703.746.3816)
- A mixed-use project, including a hotel, commercial uses and 83 residential units proposed at the former Robinson Terminal North site was approved by City Council in October 2015. For information, contact Dirk Geratz (firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.746.3815)
- A 9-unit residential development project at 513 and 515 N. Washington Street was approved by City Council in February, 2015.
- A residential townhouse project at the Old Health Department building at 509 N St Asaph St and the parking lot at 511 Oronoco St was approved by City Council in February 2014, and is currently under construction.
- Get information about the Old Town North Small Area Plan update .
- Get information about the GenOn Potomac River Generating Station.
- Get an update about the Royal Street Bus Garage.
Past Meeting Materials
Advisory Group meetings are held on a quarterly basis and are open to the public.
- Wednesday, June 1, 2016
- Wednesday, April 6, 2016
- Wednesday, February 10, 2016
- Wednesday, January 27, 2016
- Wednesday, January 6, 2016
- Wednesday, November 18, 2015
- Wednesday, October 21, 2015
- Wednesday, October 7, 2015
- Wednesday, September 9, 2015
- Thursday, April 23, 2015
- Wednesday, January
- Meeting Notes
- Wednesday, January 7, 2015
For the UDAC Meeting Archive click here.
Advisory Group Members
- Bruce Machanic, Co-Chair - Old Town North Business Community Representative
- Daniel Straub, Co-Chair - Urban Design, Architecture or Landscape Architecture Representative
- Stephen W. Kulinski, A.I.A - Old Town Business Community Representative
- Marie Tavernini - Old Town North Residential Community Representative
- Roger Waud - Old Town North Residential Community Representative
For further information about the responsibilities of this board or commission, or to apply to serve on this board or commission, contact Jackie Henderson in the City Clerk's Office at 703 746-4550.