Provide feedback on the final draft of the Old Town North
Small Area Plan document
The Old Town North Small Area Plan planning process began in fall 2015 to establish a framework for future planning and development in the area. Beginning in fall 2016, community members have had the opportunity to provide feedback on draft sections of the Plan document as well as on the Draft Urban Design Standards and Guidelines.
Community members are invited to review and comment on the compiled draft Old Town North Small Area Plan document through May 18, 2017. Comments received will inform the final draft document to be presented to City Council in June of this year.
Submit comments using any of the following options:
- Old Town North SAP Comment Board
- Email Heba El Gawish, Urban Planner
- Attend the Advisory Group meeting scheduled for April 27
- Attend the Planning Commission and City Council Public Hearings in June
- Draft Old Town North Transportation Study (April 25, 2017)
- Draft Old Town North Toolbox for Blank Walls, Podium Buildings and Surface Parking Lots (April 28, 2017)
- Old Town North Historic Interpretation Guide (Revised March 22, 2017)
- Draft Old Town North Small Area Plan Urban Design Standards and Guidelines (February 22, 2017)
- Old Town North Eco-District Study (January 2017)
- Old Town North Parking Study (October 2016)
- Old Town North Small Area Plan Update Project Brief, Final (December 22, 2015)
On September 21, 2015, the City Manager appointed the Chair and members of the Old Town North Small Area Plan Advisory Group. The composition of the Advisory Group was previously established on June 23, 2015 under City Council Resolution 2682. The Advisory Group is working with a City Project Team, led by the Planning and Zoning Department and community to develop an Old Town North Small Area Plan Update. All meetings and events associated with this planning process are open to the public and agendas include a public comment period.
Reference Documents and Information
- Second Street Green Infrastructure Demonstration Project
- Old Town North Planning Glossary (June 18, 2016)
- Old Town North Self-Guided Tours
- Old Town North Self-Guided Neighborhood Tour and Map - General points of interest within the neighborhood
- Old Town North Self-Guided Historical Tour and Map - Historical sites of interest within the neighborhood
- Old Town North Small Area Plan Boundary Map
- Old Town North Small Area Plan Update - Work Program Schedule (Feb 2017)
- Old Town North Small Area Plan Update - Framework for Civic Engagement
- 1992 Old Town North Small Area Plan
- Articles relevant to Old Town North:
August 5, 2016, The Washington Post - Old Town North is featured in the Where We Live section
- July 29, 2016, Business Journal – Robinson Terminal North Project on Hold
Old Town North Small Area Plan Community Charrettes
- November 2015 and June 2016 Old Town North Charrette Report
- November 2015
The Old Town North Small Area Plan Update Charrette (November 16-20, 2015) was an intense week-long visioning process to kick-off the Old Town North Small Area Plan Update. The Charrette was held at Canal Center in space donated by the American Real Estate Partners. To view materials and comments from the Charrette, as well as the Charrette schedule, please use the links below. Also, for more information about how to continue to participate in the Old Town North Small Area Plan Update planning process please see the section below entitled Opportunities to Comment on the Old Town North Update.
- June 2016
The City of Alexandria and the Old Town North Small Area Plan Advisory Group held a 2.5 day Mini-Charrette on June 23-25 to develop a preliminary draft illustrative design and related draft policy narratives for the Old Town North Small Area Plan Update. This effort follows: (1) the November 2015 five-day OTN Charrette that produced a draft Plan Framework with a vision, goals, ideas and concepts for the OTN SAP Update, and (2) five months of Advisory Group and subcommittee work studying and testing the ideas and concepts which were part of the Plan Framework.
Contact Heba ElGawish, Urban Planner, 703.746.3851.