- Thursday, September 29, 6-9 p.m., Advisory Group Meeting #9
City Hall, 301 King Street, Sister Cities Room 1101
- Visit the Old Town North SAP Update Comment Board throughout this 18-month planning process to provide ideas on how to help strengthen the Old Town North neighborhood even further during the next few decades. We want to hear any ideas you may have relating to opportunities and amenities that should be explored for Old Town North or issues that you believe should be addressed.
All meetings and events associated with this planning process are open to the public and agendas include a public comment period. Parking, most of which is for 3 hours, for Subcommittee Meetings at the Alexandria Redevelopment & Housing Authority Meetings is available on blocks immediately surrounding the building.
On September 21, 2015, the City Manager appointed the Chair and members of the Old Town North Small Area Plan Advisory Group. The composition of the Advisory Group was previously established on June 23, 2015 under City Council Resolution 2682. The Advisory Group is working with a City Project Team, led by the Planning and Zoning Department and community to develop an Old Town North Small Area Plan Update.
Key Project Documents
- Old Town North Planning Glossary (June 18, 2016)
- Old Town North Small Area Plan Boundary Map
- Old Town North Small Area Plan Update Project Brief, Final (December 22, 2015)
- Old Town North Small Area Plan Update - Work Program Schedule (July 2016)
- Old Town North Small Area Plan Update - Framework for Civic Engagement
- FY 2016 Interdepartmental Long Range Work Program
- 1992 Old Town North Small Area Plan
- Articles relevant to Old Town North:
August 5, 2016, The Washington Post - Old Town North is featured in the Where We Live section
- July 29, 2016, Business Journal – Robinson Terminal North Project on Hold
Old Town North Small Area Plan Community Charrettes
- November 2015 and June 2016 Old Town North Charrette Report
- November 2015
The Old Town North Small Area Plan Update Charrette (November 16-20, 2015) was an intense week-long visioning process to kick-off the Old Town North Small Area Plan Update. The Charrette was held at Canal Center in space donated by the American Real Estate Partners. To view materials and comments from the Charrette, as well as the Charrette schedule, please use the links below. Also, for more information about how to continue to participate in the Old Town North Small Area Plan Update planning process please see the section below entitled Opportunities to Comment on the Old Town North Update.
- Photos documenting the Charrette process
- Materials produced during Charrette Public Meetings
- Comments received during Charrette week
- Written Community Comments (images)
- Charrette Schedule
- Charrette Flyer
- Fall 2015 OTN SAP Update Meeting and Event Calendar
(with special highlights showing community participation opportunities during Charrette Week)
- June 2016
The City of Alexandria and the Old Town North Small Area Plan Advisory Group held a 2.5 day Mini-Charrette on June 23-25 to develop a preliminary draft illustrative design and related draft policy narratives for the Old Town North Small Area Plan Update. This effort follows: (1) the November 2015 five-day OTN Charrettewhich produced a draft Plan Framework with a vision, goals, ideas and concepts for the OTN SAP Update, and (2) five months of Advisory Group and subcommittee work studying and testing the ideas and concepts which were part of the Plan Framework.
Old Town North Self-Guided Tours
The City offers an opportunity for self-guided tours of Old Town North. The tours provide physical exercise and also information about sample points of interest in the neighborhood. Two tours are offered. For a tour of general points of interest within the Old Town North neighborhood, you can choose a 1.9 mile or a 2.6 mile route. For a tour with a historical perspective, you can chose a 2.6 mile route highlighting important historical sites of interests. The City welcomes input from the community on the itineraries.
- Old Town North Self-Guided Neighborhood Tour and Map
- Old Town North Self-Guided Historical Tour and Map
Contact Nancy Williams, Principal Planner, firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.746.3858.