How Do I Request...
Traffic Safety Section
The mission of the Traffic Safety Section is to help ensure and promote the safe travel of all community members throughout the City. The Traffic Safety Section (TSS) is comprised of officers whose primary focus is traffic enforcement, education, crash investigation, escorts, and responding to major traffic emergencies. This section is also responsible for the implementation of the Traffic Safety Plan; which is the guiding document for the City of Alexandria's Vision Zero Action Plan.
For more information please see our Traffic Safety Plan. Other reports are available online, including:
- Traffic Crash Analysis for 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- Traffic Citation and Warning Analysis for 2018 and 2019.
Lieutenant Jason North, Commander
Sergeant Thomas Ground, Traffic Safety and Motor Unit
Sergeant Gregory Holden, Traffic Safety and Motor Unit
Traffic Safety LinkS:
- Child Safety Seat Inspections
- What Should I Do After a Crash?
- Traffic Enforcement Request
- Obtaining a Copy of Your Traffic Crash Report
- Escort Requests
Alexandria Police Department offers free child safety seat inspections by our nationally certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians. Due to the limited number of certified officers, appointments are required.
To Request an Appointment
Please make your request online or leave a message at 703.746.1995 and one of our certified officers will respond to you with available dates and times.
Before Your Appointment
Please install the seat in the vehicle prior to the appointment. A correctly installed seat is snug and moves no more than one inch from side to side at the seat belt path.
Parking Enforcement Section
The Traffic Safety Section also houses the Parking Enforcement Unit. This unit is responsible for enforcing the City's parking regulations. The City's Treasury Division is responsible for processing the payment of any citation, and the Office of Parking Adjudication conducts administrative reviews to determine whether a parking citation was validly issued under the applicable rules and ordinances, not the Police Department.
For information on where to park, permits, restrictions, meters, garages, and citations please visit the City's Parking Information Page.
Sergeant Dan Schultz, Supervisor
Parking Enforcement Links
- Paying, Contesting, or Getting Information About Parking Tickets
- Common Parking Violations
Parking Enforcement Request
Interested in more information regarding traffic safety? The following local and national organizations can provide more information. Note that the City of Alexandria does not necessarily endorse all views of all organizations.
- Alexandria Families for Safer Streets (AFSS)
- Alexandria Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC)
- American Association of Retired Persons (AARP)
- American Automobile Association (AAA)
- Bike Law USA (Network of Bike Accident Lawyers)
- Coalition Against Bigger Trucks (CAPT)
- Coalition for Smarter Growth (CSG)
- Commercial Vehicle Training Association (CVTA)
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)
- National Motor Freight Traffic Association Inc
- National Organization for Victim Assistance(NOVA)
- National Organization of Youth Safety
- Northern Virginia Regional Commission
- Share the Road Virginia
- Stop Drowsy Drivers
- Students Against Destructive Decisions(SADD)
- Techniques for Effective Alcohol Management Incorporated
- Washington Regional Alcohol Program (WRAP)
- Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA)