The Alexandria Police Department’s policy is to require its employees to obey all laws and department rules and to treat all persons fairly and with respect. In order to maintain public trust and confidence, it is also the policy of this department to objectively and thoroughly investigate all allegations of wrongdoing and to consistently and fairly administer discipline when appropriate. Public faith and trust in the Police Department and its employees are essential to the accomplishment our mission.
The Office of External Affairs and Professional Responsibility is responsible for recording, registering, and controlling the investigation of complaints against, or alleged or suspected misconduct of employees of the Alexandria Police Department.
Citizens are encouraged to contact the Alexandria Police Department with any complaints about the actions of a police or non-sworn employee if they believe the conduct was inappropriate or violated the law.
Complaints can be made by the following means:
- Using the online complaint form
- Contacting the employee’s supervisor by phone at 703.746.4444
- Contacting the Office of External Affairs and Professional Responsibility by phone at 703-746-6767.
- For Bias related incidents, please call the Bias Policing Line at 703.746.1967.
- In person or by mail to the employee’s supervisor or the Internal Investigations Section at 3600 Wheeler Avenue, Alexandria, Virginia 22304.
Every complaint is reviewed and logged by the Office of External Affairs and Professional Responsibility and then assigned to the appropriate entity for investigation. Once the investigation is completed, you will be notified of the disposition of the complaint.
For annual statistical summaries of internal investigations, click here.