3600 Wheeler Ave
Alexandria, VA 22304
or email - Volunteer Office
Help your Police Department today by putting your skills to work – Volunteer Today
The volunteer program was established by the Chief of Police to have citizens get involved in supporting their community by volunteering their time and support to the Police Department. There are a wide variety of volunteer opportunities available in administrative and support activities, allowing sworn personnel to spend more of their time and specialized skills on law enforcement and crime prevention activities. Our volunteers perform administrative duties such as:
- Data entry, filing, copying of reports
- Translators/Interpreters – Evening Hours in Patrol
- Computer Activities
- Inventory control and record keeping
We also welcome and encourage students to participate as summer interns/volunteers with the department. Interns will get experience and fulfill requirements that are needed for their degree. Students need to contact us early, at least 2 months before, to coordinate your academic calendar.
To become a member of the Alexandria Police Department’s Volunteer Program, you must be:
- At least 18 years of age (no maximum age limit for service in the program)
- Be a U.S. citizen or have a valid green card
- Able to successfully pass a comprehensive police background check
- No use of drugs (except prescription drugs) in the last 2 years
- No conviction of a felony or a serious misdemeanor offense.
Listed below is a partial list of the agreement that must be signed prior to starting.
- Maintain confidentiality of all police information accessed during the performance of your duties.
- Volunteer for a period of one year or a minimum of 100 hours. Interns are an exception.
- Conduct oneself in a manner which will reflect favorably on the Alexandria Police Department and community.
- Prohibited from using Police Department Identification for personal or financial benefit.
- Attend scheduled orientation, training and information sessions.
- Report to duty on a regular basis. Missing two consecutive shifts without giving proper notification may require you to relinquish your position.
Assignment of personnel
It the policy of the Alexandria Police Department to select and assign volunteers and interns based on qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, marital status, age or disability. We will assign volunteers to positions within the department where there is a need. Specific requests for certain areas will be looked at, but no guarantee can be made to make that placement. The Alexandria Police Department will make every effort to identify a suitable assignment for a volunteer, but no guarantee will be made that every volunteer applicant will be placed.