JANUARY 14, 2009 #09-001
11:00 A.M. HILDEBRANDT
Alexandria Police Urge Residents to Prepare for Inauguration Day
The Alexandria Police Department is proud to be part of this historic Inauguration Day. Residents choosing to take part in the day’s events can expect congestion, delays and detours. Alexandria Police would like to remind residents:
• No privately-owned vehicles (POV) are allowed access to Washington, DC, directly from Alexandria.
• Please plan ahead. Visit www.wmata.com for transit schedules and options.
• Visit the City of Alexandria’s Inauguration Day Web page for further information.
Road and bridge closures and security restrictions on Inauguration Day will make traveling directly by car from Alexandria to Washington, DC, impossible. The City urges residents to plan ahead and stay informed.
Beginning at 3 A.M. in Alexandria on January 20, 2009
• NORTH (Inbound, toward DC): CLOSED to all POVs; authorized vehicles, including buses, shuttles, taxis allowed
• SOUTH (Outbound): OPEN to all traffic
• All access ramps within Alexandria to I-395 North: CLOSED to all traffic, except authorized vehicles as noted above
• All access ramps within Alexandria to I-395 South: OPEN
• NORTH to I-395: OPEN to local traffic only, but with no access to I-395/Washington, DC
George Washington Memorial Parkway
• NORTHBOUND: Traffic diverted to US-1 at Montgomery Street. Local traffic open through West and East Abingdon Drive and Bashford Lane. NO TRAFFIC ALLOWED NORTH OF SLATERS LANE.
• SOUTHBOUND: OPEN from airport through the City.
• The 300 block of King Street: CLOSED in both directions
• No parking from between Washington Street and Henry Street from 12:00 A.M. to 11:59 P.M.
• No parking between Fairfax Street and Royal Street from 12:00 A.M. to 11:59 P.M.