OCTOBER 30, 2009 #09-050
10:30 A.M. DONALDSON
Alexandria Police Remind Residents of Halloween Safety Tips
There are many ways to keep your child safe at Halloween, when they are more prone to accidents and injuries. The excitement of children and adults at this time of year sometimes makes them forget to be careful. Simple common sense can do a lot to prevent tragedies from happening.
Youngsters will be out and about on Halloween during evening hours and crossing streets in the dark. Motorists frequently use residential side streets as a cut-through during high volume traffic hours. Alexandria Police will be out in numbers to make sure trick-or-treaters have a safe Halloween night by enforcing violations involving speeding, stop signs and pedestrian cross walks over the weekend.
Here are a few Halloween safety tips to remember:
• Always use crosswalks and sidewalks and walk facing traffic
• Carry a flashlight or glow sticks
• Wear light colored clothing and reflective stickers on costumes
• Use face paint rather than full-face masks that can partially block your vision
• Only trick-or-treat at houses you know and that are well lit
• Travel in groups and children should always be with an adult
• Inspect all candy and treats before children eat them
• Notify police about any suspicious person or activity
For more information about Halloween safety tips, contact the Media Services Unit at 703.838.4636 or visit our website at www.alexandriava.gov/police.