The Alexandria Police Department wants to remind residents that crime prevention starts at home. Package thefts from doorsteps and front porches during the daytime hours usually increase between the months of October and January, due to the holiday season. Between November 1, 2010 and January 15, 2011, the City had 12 package thefts. Last year during the same time period we had 17 package thefts.
Here are some helpful tips to help prevent getting your packages stolen from your residence.
· Consider having packages delivered to another location where someone is more likely to be present during delivery. For example, your work place or a friend or family member’s home.
· Encourage family, neighbors and friends to pick up delivered packages as soon as possible after they are dropped off on your doorstep.
· Track deliveries online and try to meet the arrival of the package.
· Leave special instructions for where to deliver the packages, preferably out of sight from the road.
· Consider having any valuable items insured.
· Request a signature confirmation of delivery.
· Always lock your doors and windows when leaving your home, even if just for a few hours.
· Be neighborly—take a moment to get to know your neighbors.
Please report any suspicious activity or persons in your neighborhood immediately by calling 911 for emergencies or 703-746-4444 for non-emergencies.
The Alexandria Police Department thanks you for your support in keeping our city safe.