Artists, performers, makers, and creators can find opportunities to share their talents with the people of Alexandria.
There are currently no public art opportunities. Please visit alexandriava.gov/PublicArt for more information about public art in Alexandria.
Events and Public Space Activation
Deadline: Sunday, February 23, 2020
Events and Public Space Activations creates equitable access to the arts by bringing visual and performing arts to neighborhoods throughout Alexandria.
Proposals are being accepted from emerging and established artists who are interested in engaging directly with the community through their work. All opportunities are paid and will begin in April 2020, and extending into the fall. Artists will have access to the Mobile Art Lab, which is a mobile studio with supplies and equipment to facilitate outdoor activations. Proposals should indicate if work will be done in one day or over a series of two or three weeks.
Proposals are reviewed by staff with the following criteria:
- High artistic quality
- Unique work
- Weather-sustainable art (can be outside for extended periods, or be projected, performed, or facilitated out of doors)
- Equitably accessible for the community to engage with and/or participate in making the art
The Mobile Art Lab activates public spaces and connects art with people.Paid opportunities are available for local artists, makers, performers, and creatives who lead participatory activities for residents and visitors of all ages. Past projects have included video projections, screenprinting, silent discos, jewelry making, 'zine making, drum circles, and henna designs. If you would like to propose a creative project for consideration, contact Kayla Redman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program and Operating Grants
Deadline: The deadline for the 2019 program has passed. 2020 applications will open in February.
The Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities' Arts Division stewards the City of Alexandria's Arts Grants program with the intent of reaching these goals:
- To strengthen Alexandria's creative capacity by providing its residents with diverse opportunities to meaningfully engage with the arts;
- To improve the capacity and stability of Alexandria-based arts organizations to create, perform, and present works of artistic excellence and innovation through organizational support and program funding;
- To create a vibrant urban environment by supporting diverse individual artists, organizations, and other entities in the creation, performance, and presentation of high-quality works of art across the City of Alexandria.
The online grants portal for FY21 will launch in February 2020 with an anticipated deadline in late March 2020. Mailed or hand-delivered applications are not accepted. There will be no exceptions to this policy.
Click here to review information about this past year's grants program.
Click here to request access to the grant portal once it goes live in 2020.
Torpedo Factory Art Center
Visit torpedofactory.org/artopps for more opportunities to work and show work at Torpedo Factory Art Center. Many calls are national and international.