The City of Alexandria Office of the Arts is accepting proposals for the temporary placement or experience of art in public spaces in the City of Alexandria through the Special Opportunity Grant program. Artists and artist teams can apply for grants up to $5,000. The deadline to submit proposals is April 18, 2014 at 5:00 p.m.
This grant is open to artists 18 year of age and older who reside in the Greater Washington Metropolitan region for at least one year prior to the application. The project must be completed by September 30, 2014.
A grant workshop/webinar on Tuesday, April 1 at 7pm at the Lee Center, 1108 Jefferson Street, Alexandria, VA 22314. To attend via the webinar please register in advance by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Special Opportunity Grant’s intention is to encourage innovative, thought-provoking projects that relate to a proposed space or spaces in an engaging way. All artistic disciplines will be considered including, but not limited to: visual art, storytelling, poetry, spoken word, dance, music, theatre, performance art, and new media. The project should foster community participation in and an understanding of public art projects.
One project will be awarded in each of the City’s three planning districts: Old Town, Del Ray/Arlandria, and the West End. More than one location or planning area in the City of Alexandria may be proposed. Traveling or rotating project sites will also be considered. Projects are to be in areas accessible to the public. Based on the proposal, City permits or project modifications may be required. The Office of the Arts will work with the selected artists or artist teams to facilitate the process.
Proposals may be submitted via email to email@example.com or delivered to Durant Arts Center, 1605 Cameron Street, Alexandria, VA 22314. All proposals must be received by the deadline and must include:
- Written Description of proposed project. Please include: project concept, process, timeline, itemized budget, site specificity, installation method and anchoring procedures (if applicable), plan for community engagement, value of the project to the community, and measurements of the project’s success
- Not to exceed two pages, 12-point Arial font, 1” margins
- Resumes and Contact Information for artist or artist teams
- Work Samples and Descriptions: images, CDs, writing samples, video clips or portfolios
Friday April 18, 2014, 5:00pm
- Only individual artists or artist teams are eligible
- Artists may submit up to three different proposals
- Artists may submit existing art for consideration
- Not eligible: current members of the Alexandria Commission for the Arts and its subcommittees, City of Alexandria Employees
- Benefit to the City of Alexandria: the level of community participation and engagement of the project
- Artistic excellence
- Experience of the artist/artist team (emerging artists are encouraged to apply as a team)
- Innovation of project
- Quality and clarity of proposal
- Suitability to the proposed site
- Explanation of how community involvement will be achieved.
- No ticket sales or fees may be charged
- All events and installations must be freely accessible
- Matching funds are not required
- Artist or Artist Team will be responsible for any and all maintenance or repair during the project
- The winning artists will permit the Office of the Arts to promote their projects in all media including, but not limited to, press releases, web sites, and social media.
- A final report must be submitted to the City of Alexandria Office of the Arts within one month of the conclusion of the project and no later than September 30, 2014