TRAFFIC CONTROL BOX WRAPS 2015: A City of Alexandria Public Art Project
Request for Qualifications (RFQ): The City of Alexandria, Virginia invites artists and artist teams residing in Virginia, Maryland, District of Columbia, West Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina and Tennessee to submit their qualifications for a Traffic Control Box Vinyl Wrap Public Art Project.
Project Overview: Up to three artists or artist teams will be selected to design wraps for 12 traffic control boxes located at intersections along Duke Street in Alexandria. The wraps will cover all four sides and the top of each box. To develop their designs, artists are encouraged to use a variety of media, such as photography, painting, collage, digital imagery, etc. Selected artists will be required to submit their artwork in digital format. The City will be responsible for the printing and installation of the box wraps.
The unveiling of the traffic control box wraps will coincide with Public Works Week beginning on Sunday, May 17, 2015.
Application Deadline: Friday, February 6, 2015, 5 pm.
Honorarium: Each selected artist or artist team will be paid $4,000 to create four original designs that will be digitally transferred to vinyl and wrapped around four assigned City traffic control boxes.
Artist Eligibility: Eligible artists must be 18 years or older and reside in Virginia, Maryland, District of Columbia, West Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina and Tennessee. The selected artists/artists teams must be able to attend at least one public meeting the week of February 23.
Applications due: Friday, February 6
Artist finalists notified: Wednesday, February 18
Public meetings held with artists and community: February 23-27
Drafts due: Friday, March 13
Artwork due: Friday, April 3
Wraps installed on traffic control boxes: May 11-15
Unveiling: Sunday, May 17
Artist Selection Criteria:
Applicants must demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Artistic merit of body of work
- Strong conceptual skill with innovative and effective approaches demonstrated in other creative projects
- Ability to work with the community to design engaging artwork that is appropriate for the location
- Ability and willingness to collaborate with City staff, design and engineering professional, stakeholders and contractors
- Probability of successful execution and completion of project
- Appropriateness of qualifications for the project
- Effective communication and organizational skills
- Completeness of application
- Artist will be selected in a limited competition and by invitation.
- Artists who have not made public art will be encouraged to apply if they have at least five years' experience as a professional working artist as evidenced by their exhibition record, critical reviews, honors and awards.
- Draft proposals are due Friday, March 13.
- Completed designs are due Friday, April 3.
- Selected artist will be required to sign a contract with the City of Alexandria.
- City staff will provide the selected artists with detailed design directions and instructions.
Letter of Interest:
Applicants must clearly describe their interest and/or approach to the project.
Please complete the following application and email to: Matthew Harwood, Public Art Manager, City of Alexandria, Virginia at firstname.lastname@example.org
Any questions must be submitted via email to Matthew Harwood at email@example.com
Click here for a pdf of the application.
Click here for a Word document of the application.
Click here for a pdf of the RFQ.
Click here for a map of traffic control boxes along Duke Street.