Wilkes Street Park Redesign
Wilkes Street Park is an 0.7 acre neighborhood park located in Old Town. The park has trees, seating areas, and a multi-use trail that is part of the City's bike trail system. In 1979, City Council dedicated the Veterans Memorial Walkway that runs through the east block of the park.
Location: 850 Wilkes Street
The South Patrick Housing Affordability Strategy adopted in 2019 envisions Wilkes Street Park to be accessible and accommodating to all ages and abilities. The plan recommends improvements such as play areas, seating, and open passive areas. The design of the park improvements will be done in collaboration with the Heritage Redevelopment. The proposed improvements will also feature a site specific work of public art as approved by the Alexandria Commission for the Arts. Developers will construct the park improvements in phases, as a condition of their redevelopment approvals.
August 13: The Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities (RPCA) hosts a kick-off meeting with the community and Public Art Task Force.
August 14: RPCA receives input on park design through online survey and public engagement. Survey available until September 11.
September 17: RPCA presents the park project and survey results to the Park and Recreation Commission.
September 18 – October 16: Using the public input, the developer design team prepares design options for the park.
- November 4: RPCA host a second community meeting with the applicant design proposals for the park.
- November 6 – December 4: Second online survey and public engagement is conducted asking for community feedback on the design options.
- December – January: Developer design team prepares a final park design using community input collected.
- January 21, 2021: RPCA presents final park design to the Park and Recreation Commission for public hearing.
- February 18, 2021: RPCA presents final park design to the Park and Recreation Commission for endorsement.
Thursday, January 21, 2021, 7 p.m. - Virtual Meeting, Park and Recreation Commission
Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 7 p.m. - Virtual Meeting
Thursday, August 13, 2020, 7 p.m. - Virtual Meeting
Thursday, September 17, 2020, 7 p.m. - Virtual Meeting, Planning process was endorsed by Park and Recreation Commission
For questions about the Wilkes Street Park Redesign, please email Ana Vicinanzo.