Recreation, Parks, and Cultural Activities (RPCA) is currently designing a renovation of Joseph Hensley Park, scheduled for phased implementation beginning in 2022. The proposed design plan has a number of amendments to the endorsed 2014 Joseph Hensley Park Improvement Plan. The proposed design plan will maintain diamond and rectangular athletic uses on site and upgrade the facilities. The proposed design plan will address stormwater and site drainage issues, increase parking capacity, upgrade the sports lighting, upgrade the two natural turf diamond fields, convert the rectangular field to synthetic turf, and improve site circulation and ADA access. The project will replace the current restrooms, add a play space, add a second park shelter, and add a multi-use court/performance space.
The Joseph Hensley Park renovations are being designed at one time with phased implementation as funding is programmed into the Capital Improvement Program. The first phase of construction will include the lower diamond field and associated parking, stormwater improvements, ADA improvements, and replacement of the restrooms.
- April 8, 2019: Update to Youth Sports Advisory
- November 19, 2020: RPCA introduced the plan amendment to the Park and Recreation Commission
- December 17, 2021: RPCA presented the a park design and amendments to the 2014 Citywide Parks Improvements Plan for the renovation of Joseph Hensley Park to the Park and Recreation Commission
- January 21, 2020: The Park & Recreation Commission will hold a public hearing on the 60% design and park improvement plan amendments. Members of the public not able to attend the public hearing may submit comments by mail or email on the design of Joseph Hensley Park and amendments to the 2014 Citywide Parks Improvements Plan until Wednesday, January 20, 2020. For comments or questions, please contact Ana Vicinanzo, Urban Planner II, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703.746.5494. Comments will be accepted by mail or email until 5 p.m. on Wednesday, January 20, 2021. For written comments, please mail them to 1108 Jefferson Street, Alexandria VA 22314.
- March 2021: Planning Commission Public Hearing
Planning and Design
Bethany Znidersic, Principal Planner