Interested in Volunteering for Alexandria Earth Day 2019?
Alexandria Earth Day cannot take place without the help of volunteers. The list below contains descriptions of Alexandria' Earth Day volunteer opportunities. All assignments will be at the Lenny Harris Memorial Fields at Braddock Park, located at 1005 Mt. Vernon Ave, on April 27, 2019.
All volunteers are thanked for their time with an official 2019 Alexandria Earth Day T-shirt.
To register for the event, apply here. Be sure to indicate the role(s) for which you or your group are interested in volunteering.
For a full list of Alexandria's volunteer opportunities, including the Earth Day event, please visit the City's volunteer page
Alexandria Earth Day 2019 Volunteer NEEDs
- Set up tables and chairs for exhibitors and vendors.
- Distribute supplies and other event information to exhibitors.
- Assist in showing exhibitors to their assigned tables/location.
- Includes some medium weight lifting of tables/chairs and boxed items.
- 7 AM- 10 AM
- 10 Total Volunteers
- Help Earth Day attendees find parking for their bike. Watch the bikes in the "bike corral."
- One volunteer per hour
- 10 AM- 2PM
- 3 volunteers
Bike Valet Set-up
- Set up the racks for the Bike Valet, and place the signs
- Total 2 volunteers
- 9:30 AM-10 AM
Bike Valet Clean-up
- Remove the racks for the Bike Valet, and pick up the signs
- Total 2 Volunteers
- 2 PM-2:30 PM
Traffic Flow Attendants
- Direct traffic to approved parking areas.
- 2 Volunteers per 1.5 hours
- 10 Total
- 7 AM- 2 PM
- The Volunteer Greeter is responsible for providing exemplary customer service to all that enter and attend the event. Attendees should be welcomed, offered program literature, maps, site-specific information, and helped to find their way around. Excellent communication skills are needed when responding to vendor and event attendees' questions.
- 3 volunteers per 3 Hour shift= 6 Total
- 9 AM - noon
- 11 AM- 2 PM
Resource Recovery Volunteers
Help us meet our goal to make this Earth Day event a “zero waste” event. Educate and direct event participants and exhibitors in the appropriate way to sort their garbage. Volunteers will be trained on what goes into the compost, recycle, and trash bins. This is a learning opportunity for all who attend and volunteer at the event!
- The early shift will help set up the bins and assist exhibitors sort their garbage. At the end of the event, volunteers assist exhibitors and help measure our overall impact of our efforts – that is, measure what percentage of our waste was diverted from trash to recycling and composting facilities.
- Volunteers may also assist with pulling full bags and transporting them to the appropriate truck for recovery. Some heavy lifting may be involved (but you can opt out and leave this duty for those who can! )
- Monitor the trash, recycling, and composting stations. Help attendees put the right item in the right container. Assist with pulling full bags and transporting them to the appropriate truck for recovery. Some heavy lifting may be involved.
- 8:30 Am- 10 AM 4 volunteers
- 10 AM- 2 PM 8 volunteers per 2 hour shift to monitor bins =16 Total
- 2 PM-4 PM 4 Volunteers
- Interact with
participants/attendees of Earth Day, requesting they fill out a survey to
capture attendee feedback about the event.
- 1-2 volunteers
per hour (4 total)
- 10:30 AM. – 2 PM
- Breakdown tables and chairs, placing in stacks for pick up.
- Assist exhibitors break down their exhibits and load their vehicles.
- Collect signs.
- 1:45 PM- 3:45 PM
- 12 Total
Once you have identified the role (s) you or your group would like to take on, please register at the City's volunteer page.
For more information about event volunteer opportunities for both individuals and groups, please contact Carolyn Schroeder, Earth Day Committee Volunteer Coordinator, at EarthDayVolunteers@alexandriava.gov.
Thank you for your interest and we look forward to working with you!