City of Alexandria Hosts Opening Expo for New Patrick Henry Recreation Center
For Immediate Release: February 14, 2019
The City of Alexandria invites the public to celebrate the opening of the new Patrick Henry Recreation Center (4653 Taney Ave.) on Saturday, February 23, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
“The new Patrick Henry Recreation Center provides a wonderful addition to the City programs and amenities available on Alexandria’s West End,” said City Manager Mark Jinks. “The innovative and flexible design maximizes use by the entire community.”
The Opening Expo will feature free activities for all ages, including class demonstrations, fitness room and functional fitness demos, soft play room use, exhibitors, summer camp information, facility tours, face painting, DJ music, and a “meet and greet” with center staff. On-going class demonstrations will include yoga, boxing, creative arts, tumbling, martial arts, tai chi, basketball, performing arts and more. For more information, visit the event page on the City Calendar.
The new recreation center opened to the public on January 22, and operates Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., with additional opportunity for pre-scheduled use on Saturday evenings and Sundays.
Recreation amenities include:
- indoor running or walking lanes
- a flex court with full size basketball, volleyball and pickleball courts
- multipurpose rooms to provide space for expanded senior programming, community classes and meetings and expanded Out of School Time programs
- dedicated arts and crafts, exercise and fitness, and soft play rooms
- shared used of the black box theatre, full size gymnasium and an additional multipurpose room in the adjacent elementary school during non-school hours
- preparations continue for the installation of a full size rectangular synthetic turf field with a coach-pitch baseball/softball diamond overlay, outdoor basketball court, three playgrounds and adult fitness equipment
Free drop-in classes provide another opportunity to sample programs that will be offered in the spring. Pre-registration is not required for drop-in classes. The following classes will be offered weekly at the recreation center between February 25 and March 29:
- Fun for Kids: Lil Yogis, Tiny Chefs, Lil Kickers, Little Stars, Jump Shots for Tots and Tumbling
- Adult Fitness: Zumba, Stretch It Out, Hip Hop Fitness, Yoga, Walk & Fit Training, Boxercise, Tai Chi and Adult Weight Training
- Fitness for Ages 55 & Up: Age Reversal Stretch, Senior Aerobics, Senior Weight Training and Line Dancing
The original joint project plan between the City and Alexandria City Public Schools (ACPS) was put in place almost five years ago. Staff from the City and ACPS worked closely together to resolve site constraints and topographical issues to ensure project efficiency while simultaneously matching the needs of both entities. The final total cost of the project was $62.8 million, of which $52.3 million is attributed to the new school and $10.5 million is attributed to the recreation center, including the upgrading of outdoor amenities.
For a detailed schedule of drop-in classes with descriptions and parking information, visit alexandriava.gov/Recreation or contact the Patrick Henry Recreation Center at 703.746.5557.
For media inquiries, contact Andrea Blackford, Senior Communications Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.746.3959.
For reasonable disability accommodation, contact email@example.com or call 703.746.5557, Virginia Relay 711.
# # #
This news release is available at alexandriava.gov/108102.