City of Alexandria to Host 26th Annual Alexandria Earth Day Celebration
For Immediate Release: April 9, 2019
The City of Alexandria will host the 26th Annual Alexandria Earth Day and Arbor Day celebration on Saturday, April 27, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Lenny Harris Memorial Fields at Braddock Park (1005 Mount Vernon Ave.). Admission is free, and food and beverages will be available for purchase.
This family-friendly event includes the ninth annual Upcycling Showcase, where students from Alexandria City Public Schools will present unique fashion items and other upcycling creations based on the event theme, “Climate Change – Take Action.”
Other activities include:
- Live demonstrations of composting, rainwater harvesting and recycling
- “Tent Talks,” featuring topics such as green investing, urban beekeeping, water sector jobs, tips for homeowners to address climate change, and the update of the City’s Environmental Action Plan
- Presentation of the 11th annual Ellen Pickering Environmental Excellence Award
- Live music
- Bike activities for cyclists of all ages and skill levels
- A GreenDrop truck accepting donations of used clothing
- More than 50 environmental exhibitors
In keeping with the goals of the Eco-City Alexandria initiative, the purpose of Alexandria Earth Day is to promote environmental education, engage with the public about Alexandria’s environmental issues and plans, and lead the community toward a green and sustainable future.
The public is encouraged to take public transit, walk or bike to the event.
- DASH will offer free rides to and from the event, from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., on select routes. Visit alexandriava.gov/EarthDay for more information. For DASH bus route and schedule information, visit dashbus.com or call 703.370.DASH.
- For Metrorail and Metrobus schedule information, visit wmata.com or call 202.637.7000.
- Bicyclists may visit alexandriava.gov/GOAlex for the City's Bikeways Map, which features Alexandria’s best on-street and off-road bikeways.
- Parking is available in the George Washington Middle School parking lot, adjacent to the Lenny Harris Memorial Fields.
In case of inclement weather, the event will be relocated to George Washington Middle School, 1005 Mount Vernon Ave.
For more information, visit alexandriava.gov/EarthDay or call the Special Events Hotline at 703.746.5592.
For media inquiries, contact Andrea Blackford, Senior Communications Officer, at email@example.com or 703.746.3959.
For reasonable disability accommodation, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703.746.5419, Virginia Relay 711.
# # #
This news release is available at alexandriava.gov/109228.