Additional Summer Out of School Time Options Announced
For Immediate Release: June 27, 2020
The Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities is offering Out of School Time half day programs and group game activities in addition to its full day modified summer camp. All programs are available to Alexandria residents ages 6-12 who have attended Kindergarten through 6th grade. All health guidelines for staff and participants will be met, including symptom screening, use of face masks, enhanced cleaning, and physical distancing protocols. To ensure the safety of participants and prevent the spread of COVID-19, indoor locations will have limited capacity.
Full Day Modified Summer Camp offers plenty of fun! The six-week program begins on July 6 and will take place Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Before and after care will not be available. The fee is $249 per child with financial assistance available. Each day will include time for ACPS summer school activity and as much outdoor play as possible. There will be no field trips or swimming this summer.
- Dates: July 6 - August 14
- Days: Monday through Friday
- Time: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (No before or after care)
- Locations: Charles Barrett, Charles Houston, Leonard “Chick” Armstrong, Patrick Henry, Nannie J. Lee, and William Ramsay Recreation Centers and Minnie Howard School
- Cost: $249 (with Financial Assistance: Free/Reduced School Meals $149.40; SNAP $124.50; TANF $75)
Half Day Summer Fun Camps provide two-week sessions that will take place Monday through Friday at Chinquapin Park Recreation Center & Aquatics Facility and Jefferson-Houston School. The first session will take place July 20-31 from 2 to 6 p.m. The second session will take place August 3-14 and will be available in the mornings from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. or afternoons from 2 to 6 p.m. The program fee is $45 per child per two-week session with financial assistance available. The program will include as much outdoor play as possible and other fun recreational activities. There will be no field trips or swimming this summer.
- Dates: July 20-31 (afternoons only) and August 3-14 (mornings or afternoons)
- Days: Monday through Friday
- Times: Mornings: 8 a.m.- 12 p.m. Afternoons: 2-6 p.m.
- Locations: Chinquapin Park Recreation Center & Aquatics Facility and Jefferson-Houston School
- Cost: $45 (with Financial Assistance: Free/Reduced School Meals $27; SNAP $22.50; TANF $13.50)
Friday Fun Days offer group games and fitness outdoors to spread out and have some fun. Youth will be engaged in classic cooperative group games, relays, and physical fitness. The fee is $5 per date. Inclement weather may cancel this activity.
- Dates/Locations: July 10, 17, 24, 31 at Jefferson-Houston field and Armistead Boothe Park
- Days: Fridays
- Time: 9-11:30 a.m.
Registration is currently being accepted at alexandriava.gov/Recreation. For in-person registration, call the Registration and Reservation Office at 703.746.5414 to schedule an appointment. Additional program information will be provided after registration.
Visit alexandriava.gov/Recreation for more information about Out of School Time summer offerings.
# # #
This release is available at alexandriava.gov/116332.