Park Location: 1301 Powhatan Street Park (map)
Park Area: 0.15 acres
Park Features: Passive lawn space
2304 East Randolph Avenue Park
Park Location: 2304 East Randolph Avenue (map)
Park Area: 0.09 acres
Park Features: Passive Lawn
3550 Commonwealth Avenue
Park Location: 3550 Commonwealth Avenue (map)
Park Area: 0.53 acres
Park Features: Adopt-a-Garden
Park Location: 48 South Early Street (map)
Park Area: 0.42 acres
Park Features: Neighborhood adopt-a-garden, passive seating area, rustic bridge
This site was acquired by the City through the open space program in 2009. Implementation of an approved park plan is underway.
5 West Braddock Road
Park Location: 5 West Braddock Road (map)
Park Area: 0.22 acres
Park Features: Dog exercise area
Park Location: 840 North Alfred Street (map)
Park Area: 0.27 acres
Park Features: Passive lawn space, play features, seating
African American Heritage Memorial Park
Park Location: 500 Holland Lane (map)
Park Area: 6.17 acres
Park Features: Memorial, sitting area, walking trail
The African American Heritage Memorial Park includes a one-acre 19th century African American Cemetery. There are 21 known burials on this site and six identified headstones remain and are in their original location. The park design includes part of the original landscape of the cemetery and a wetland.
The memorial sculptures in the park are the creation of Washington, D.C. sculptor, Jerome Meadows. The focal point of the park is a sculpture group of bronze trees called "Truths that Rise from the Roots Remembered" which acknowledges the contributions of African Americans to the growth of Alexandria. Other sculptures throughout the park commemorate historic African American neighborhoods. On June 17, 1995 the Norfolk Southern Corporation dedicated the park to the City of Alexandria.
This park may be rented for events through the Alexandria Black History Museum.
Park Location: 4725 Duke Street (map)
Park Area: 37.78 acres
Park Features: Biking, dog area, hiking, memorial park, observation deck, picnic areas, running, and sitting areas
Entry to All Veterans Park is near the intersection of Pickett Street and Holmes Run Parkway. The park is found along the same linear stretch of parks that straddle the Holmes Run Stream and is on the south bank of Holmes Run, across from Brookvalley Park. The two parks are connected by the Charles Beatley Bridge which was dedicated in honor of Alexandria's former Mayor Beatley.
There is a dog exercise area that parallels Pickett Street. A trail meanders through the park and past the Memorial placard. On the northern edge, the trail parallels the water of Holmes Run. An observation deck built on the bank can be used to view the Bi-Centennial Tree across the Run.
All Veterans Park has been adopted by the Alexandria Firefighters Inc.
Park Location: 201 West Taylor Run Parkway (map)
Park Area: 10.34 acres
Park Features: Athletic fields, basketball court, playground, and shelter with grill.
The ballfield on the west side of the Park is annually scheduled for Little League and T-Ball during Baseball Season. The field is also used for pick up games of baseball/softball, soccer, and touch football.
Angel Park has been adopted by the Taylor Run Civic Association.
Park Location: 520 Cameron Station Boulevard (map)
Park Area: 10.81 acres
Park Features: Athletic fields, basketball court, playground, picnic pavilion with grill, restrooms, tennis courts, and walking/biking trails.
On June 13, 2000, the Alexandria City Council approved the naming of the west end park at the former U.S. Army base at Cameron Station in honor of the late Armistead L. Boothe. A native Alexandrian, Boothe served as a special assistant in the United States Office of the Attorney General from 1934 to 1936 and as City Attorney of Alexandria from 1938 to 1943. He was a strong supporter of public school integration in the 1950s.
Park Location: 208 South Royal Street (map)
Park Area: 0.18 acres
Park Features: Playground/tot-lot, sitting area
During the 1940's the National Guard Armory Building was built on this site and a portion of the building was used to operate recreational leagues. The building was destroyed by fire soon thereafter and never re-built. The City developed the site into a children's playground in the early 1950s and has been maintaining it as such up to the present time.
Park Location: 201 Rucker Place (map)
Park Area: 1.42 acres
Park Features: open lawn area with seating, playground
In 1954, the Rosemont Civic Association established as its first task the development of this "rustic" park area and playground on the City owned land behind Maury School. In the early 1970s the park was re-developed and re-named in honor of Miss Lillian Beach, the Principal of Maury School.
Today, many mature oak, maple trees, dogwoods, and locust trees are planted on site. Beach Park has been adopted by the Rosemont Citizens' Association.
Park Location: 4800 Brenman Park Drive (map)
Park Area: 59.3 acres
Park Features: ADA accessible picnic benches and pathways, Amphitheatre, athletic fields (one synthetic turf rectangular), fenced lit dog park, parking, picnic pavilion with grill, playground, pond, restrooms, and walking/bicycle trails
This west end park located on the east end of the former U.S. Army base at Cameron Station was named in honor of the late Colonel Ben Brenman, (US Army-retired) on June 23, 1998, by the Alexandria City Council. Colonel Brenman contributed his time and talent as an Alexandria Community activist for over 30 years. His involvement in scores of projects, including acquisition of this parkland, has enriched the quality of life for citizens of Alexandria.
Park Location: 620 North Overlook Drive (map)
Park Area: 1.74 acres
Park features: Hard court play area, playground with a park shelter and picnic tables, sitting areas, and wooded nature area
Beverley Park was once used as a staging area and gravel pit when the homes in the Beverly Hills neighborhood were being built. After the new home construction was completed, the site was cleaned up and a playground was installed. The park was officially opened on June 13, 1943.
Beverley Park has been adopted by the North Ridge Citizens Association.
Park Location: 5599 Holmes Run Parkway (map)
Park Area: 22.03 acres
Park Features: Garden plots, natural area, playground, picnic areas, walking/bicycle trail,
Brookvalley Park is home to the Bicentennial Tree, the oldest tree in Alexandria, as well as a natural habitat to many species of animals. Brookvalley Park is connected by trail to Holmes Run Scenic Easement to the north, All Veterans Park to the southwest, and Tarleton Park to the southeast. Garden Plots on the west side of Brookvalley Park can be rented from the 4-H club.
Park Location: 1501 Cameron Street (map)
Park Area: 0.3 acres
Park Features: Basketball court and playground
Buchanan Park is located behind the Olde Towne Pool and adjacent to the Jefferson Houston School. The playground is accessible throughout the day and is recommended for 5-12 year olds.
Park Location: 5131 Brawner Place (map)
Park Area: 7.56 acres
Park Features: Biking/walking/jogging trail
Park Location: 450 Andrews Lane (map)
Park Area: 2.96 acres
Park Features: Fenced dog exercise area, tennis courts, parking
Park Location: 2505 North Chambliss Street (map)
Park Area: 8.16 acres
Park Features: Parking, tennis courts, wooded nature area with a walking trail
A foot path meanders through the park down towards Dora Kelly Nature Park.
Park Location: 300 East Oxford Avenue
Park Area: 0.37 acres
Park Features: Shaded sitting areas, walking path, open turf for passive play
The park was named in honor of the Alexandria Police Officer who gave his life in the line of duty during the latter part of the 1980s, Corporal Charles W. Hill.
Charles W. Hill Park has been adopted by the Alexandria Police Special Operations.
Park Location: 810 Chetworth Place (map)
Park Area: 0.28 acres
Park Features: Playground, seating
Chetworth Park is a public open space amongst the townhouses off Michigan Court and Chetworth Place near Bashford Lane.
Chetworth Park has been adopted by Northeast Citizens/Chetworth Park.
Park Location: 3210 King Street (map)
Park Area: 52.89 acres (Chinquapin: 32.08 acres; Forest Park: 20.81)
Park Features: Athletic fields, basketball courts, garden plots, picnic area with grill, parking, playground, tennis courts, and wooded area.
From 1941 through 1960, the site, known as Chinquapin Village, held barrack/bivouac type structures and was used as wartime emergency facilities by the United States Navy.
A recreation center with an indoor swimming pool is also on site.
Chinquapin Park has been adopted by the Taylor Run Civic Association
Fees must be paid in advance in order to reserve a picnic area. Make check or money order payable to the 'City of Alexandria'. Cash payments must be in exact amounts; change will not be provided. You must be a City of Alexandria resident in the following zip codes to reserve the park: 22301; 22302; 22304; 22305; 22311; 22312 and 22314.
No alcoholic beverages are permitted in the park. There is no electricity or running water. Moon bounces are not admitted.
You may reschedule your picnic to an alternate date within the same season (April-October). Refund of park fees will be granted if received in writing minus a $20 processing fee. All activities may be cancelled by the City due to unfavorable environmental conditions which may seriously damage the park or be hazardous to users (i.e. excessive heat).
Falsification of applications and permits by an individual or a group can result in denial of park use at any City location.
Park Location: 4551 Eisenhower Avenue (map)
Park Area: 5.95
Park Features: Wooded area
Park Location: 400A Courthouse Square (map)
Park Area: 0.28 acres
Park Features: Planting beds and seating areas
Park Location: 5750 Sanger Avenue (map)
Park Area: 46.61 acres
Park Features: Environmental programs, sitting areas, walking/biking trail, and wooded natural area
Dora Kelley Park, named for a Community Activist, is one of the largest parks in Alexandria. It has several entries, but the main entrance is located at the corner of Beauregard Street and Morgan Street. The Buddie Ford Nature Center is located within the park. The center exhibits live animals, holds nature instruction classes, and leads guided park walks with the Park Naturalist.
Dora M. Kelley (1914-2001) was an avid nature lover and long-time resident of the City of Alexandria. Her desire to preserve the remaining woodlands near her home was realized in 1973 with the acquisition of 25.6 acres (i.e., the "Rolfs tract") by the City of Alexandria for the establishment of a nature park/wildlife sanctuary. In 1976, by resolution of Alexandria's City Council, the park was named in honor of Mrs. Kelley. This was done "in recognition of the outstanding work and efforts of Mrs. Dora Kelley in preserving the land and its character...." In the words of former Vice Mayor Mel Bergheim, "Mrs. Kelley's advocacy for the park symbolized the grass root efforts of activists who labored in the vineyards without recognition, or even thought of recognition, for the benefit of the community." The park is now a living legacy, enriching the lives of all who visit.
The Dora Kelley Nature Park & Wildlife Sanctuary presently encompasses 50 acres of oak-hickory forest, stream valley floodplain, and freshwater marsh. These diverse habitats are home to a variety of native plants and wildlife, some of which are found nowhere else in the City of Alexandria. Park visitors are encouraged to hike along the self-guided nature trail that meanders through the park. Brochures for the nature trail are available at the "Jerome "Buddie" Ford Nature Center located adjacent the park. The Nature Center was established in 1978 and currently provides year-round programs and exhibits on the parks human and natural history.
Park Location: 505 & 444 Dulany Street (map)
Park Area: 0.7 acres
Park Features: Open lawn, seating areas, and artistic lighting
This publicly accessible park is owned and maintained by the Carlyle Community Council.