Registration for summer camps and programs offered by the Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities (RPCA) is suspended until further notice.
- Summer camps will operate according to federal, state and local health guidelines, which include significant adjustments to program size, program format and facility access. Due to safe gathering size restrictions and physical distance requirements, fewer participants than usual will be accommodated during the first two phases in summer camps, classes, pools, and more. Some facility amenities will remain closed until it is safe to reopen in accordance with guidelines.
RPCA will offer a modified full day summer program at several locations throughout Alexandria for children ages 6-12. The program will run for six weeks beginning on July 6 and ending on August 14 and will take place Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Before and after care will not be available. The program fee is $249 per child with financial assistance available. The program will meet guidelines for staff and participant symptom screening, enhanced cleaning, and physical distancing protocols.
- To ensure the safety of participants and prevent the spread of COVID-19, each location will have limited capacity. As a result, these programs are designed to meet the needs of essential workers who have limited options for childcare, with a priority to Alexandria families who need financial assistance.
Alexandria residents interested in participating are required to verify eligibility by completing a Summer Camp Pre-Registration Eligibility Form. The questionnaire is available online at alexandriava.gov/Recreation and paper copies are available. A mailed paper copy can be requested by calling the Registration and Reservation Office at 703.746.5414, or it can be picked up and dropped off at an outdoor drop box at the following locations:
- Lee Center Registration and Reservation Office, 1108 Jefferson Street
- Leonard “Chick” Armstrong Recreation Center, 25 West Reed Avenue
- William Ramsay Recreation Center, 5650 Sanger Avenue
- Questionnaires must be submitted by June 15 for review and eligible families will be contacted June 16-17. Eligible families must complete their registration by June 21. Once the pre-registration process is complete, general registration for any remaining capacity will begin June 22 online on a first come, first served basis. Preferred location cannot be guaranteed.
- Visit alexandriava.gov/Recreation for updates about additional summer program options.
Learn What Parents Say About Alexandria Camps
"I wanted to write a quick note to acknowledge the absolutely amazing summer camp offerings that were provided to City residents this summer. My wife and I have lived in the City for 11 years and have three young children. This summer our children participated in about 6 camps offered through the Recreation Department and we could not have been more impressed. We truly could not have been more happy, and our children absolutely loved their camps."
"We are so thankful for the efforts of your swim camp staff in providing just the right balance of challenge and encouragement for our granddaughter. Her improvement in both skills and attitude by the end of camp were both easily discernible and very gratifying. It was clear that your staff went the extra mile to make sure each day was both fun and filled with opportunities for learning for the kids."
"Our daughter absolutely LOVED the Tadpole camp at the Buddie Ford Nature Center. She especially loved the nature walks to the water. Keep up the great work over there!”
"I’m so thankful for this phenomenal program, this group of employees truly believes in “No One Left Behind” and they are committed, dedicated, energetic, enthusiastic, motivated, as well as passionate about what they deliver. The individual impact they have on lives is just priceless. They have made modifications after modifications to programs to ensure that my child and individuals of all abilities have an equal opportunity to enjoy programs, services, and activities."
"The staff are dedicated to no return in providing the highest quality of programs that are inclusive and accessible that meet social, intellectual and recreational needs of my daughter. They have taken the steps to remove barriers to participation in program and services. They go above and beyond to improve the overall quality of life and safeguard of my child every day. "
"I saw my daughter swimming today on the last day of Making Waves Swim Camp. WOW!!! So much improvement over such a short time!! She had a wonderful time this week. Many thanks to your team for providing such a wonderful camp that is not only fun, but is also teaching a valuable life skill. She came home happy, hungry, and tired every day!!!"