- Community Matching Fund
- 3550 Commonwealth Ave & Dale Street Garden Renovation
- Four Mile Run Restoration Project
- Holmes Run Park/Duke Street Dog Park Improvements
- Patrick Henry Recreation Center Project
- Simpson Park Projects
- Four Mile Run Park Playground
- Waterfront Plan Implementation
Parks and Recreation Needs Assessment
The City of Alexandria Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities conducts citywide Needs Assessment survey bi-annually to establish priorities for the future development of Alexandria’s parks, recreation, cultural facilities, programs and services based on identified community needs.
- Braddock Park
- Fort Ward Park
- Aquatics Feasibility Study
- Mount Jefferson Park
- Cameron Run Park Planning Process
- Open Space Plan (2003 & 2017 update)
- Improvement Plans
- Athletic Field Master Plan (2006)
- Diamond Fields Study (2014)
- Dog Parks Master Plan (2000)
- Four Mile Run Restoration Plan (2006)
- Strategic Master Plan for Open Space, Parks & Recreation (2002)
- Urban Forestry Master Plan (2009)
The purpose of the Landscape Guidelines is to incorporate, up-front ecologically based planning as a means of improving the quality of the environment within the City while reducing maintenance requirements and costs over-time. The Landscape Guidelines establish minimum standards for the protection and preservation of existing vegetation; crown area coverage; installation and maintenance of proposed plantings-including street trees, site plantings, plantings above structure and plantings in parking and bioretention areas. The standards include reference sources for plant specification; project conditions and installation; advise on invasive species; post construction procedures and maintenance. Information in the Landscape Guidelines is not intended to replace, but to supplement applicable codes, ordinances and development procedures. In any given application the City may require additional improvements and plantings beyond the established minimums.The Landscape Guidelines are intended for use by property owners, developers, and applicants seeking Site Plan, Plot Plan, Development Special Use Permit, and/or Special Use Permit approval within the City of Alexandria, Virginia.
Park Facility Standards Manual
The Park Facility Standards Manual (Standards) establishes the minimum design, construction and performance expectations and requirements for the City’s park features. The intent of the Standards is to inform and guide park and open space planning, capital improvements and capital maintenance and to sustain life-cycle resource investments in public space. The Standards are a reference instrument for selection of materials, fixtures, and systems and integrate City criteria with industry standards and applicable Federal/State/City requirements into a primary single-source document. Anticipated benchmarks for performance/function, safety, environmental impact, and anticipated maintenance/life- cycle resource needs are established by each Standard.
Although established in Summer, 2012, the Park Facility Standards Manual is a living document that is updated and re-evaluated coincident with advancements in industry, changes in the City’s park and open space system, and recreational needs.
Information in the manual is not intended to replace or function as specifications, construction documents, or contract documents.
- Park Facility Standards Manual —(Full PDF-7.22MB) Current as of June 21, 2012
- Chapter 1 – Introduction
- Chapter 2 – Site Furnishings
- Chapter 3 – Fences and Walls
- Chapter 4 – Surfacing
- Chapter 5 – Park StructuresChapter 6 – Playgrounds
- Chapter 7 – Ball Courts and Athletic Fields
- Chapter 8 – Utility Systems
- Chapter 9 – Signs
- Chapter 10 - Marina