City of Alexandria Waterfront Commission
The Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities commissions and committees compose a formal system through which citizens can advise City Council on issues affecting the City. All meetings are open to the public. Position vacancies are posted on the City website and may be found by visiting Boards & Commissions.
The purpose of the Alexandria Waterfront Commission is to advise the City Council and staff on issues related to Alexandria's historic Potomac River waterfront, and advise on implementation of the Waterfront Small Area Plan. The Commission is composed of 21 members representing a particular neighborhood, community organization, or City committee. The Commission was established by City Council on April 14, 2012, and replaces the Waterfront Committee, which was founded in 1989. The Commission meets the third Tuesday of each month at 7:30 am at City Hall Sister Cities Conference Room, 301 King Street, unless otherwise indicated on the agenda. The Waterfront Commission routinely receives staff reports from various City departments, including Recreation, Parks, and Cultural Activities; Projects Implementation; Planning and Zoning; Transportation and Environmental Services; General Services; and the Police Department. The public is welcome to attend.
To return to Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities Commissions and Committees' information, click here.
- Meeting Archives (2008 - 2017)
- Policy Regarding Public Participation
- Waterfront Commission Officer Election Policy
- Annual Reports
- Upcoming Waterfront Events
- Waterfront Plan Implementation
- Waterfront Discoveries - Alexandria Archaeology
- Ad Hoc Monitoring Group on Waterfront Construction
- Potomac Waterfront Flood Mitigation Study
- City Marina Maintenance & Repair Assessment Report - October 2013
- Waterfront Governance Models Analysis - March 2015
- Marina Feasibility Study - February 2017
- Busker Information Card
Note: The Commission meets the third Tuesday of each month at 7:30 am at City Hall Sister Cities Conference Room, 301 King Street, unless otherwise indicated on the agenda. The public is welcome. Minutes are approved at the next scheduled meeting.
2018 Meeting Information
January 16, 2018 - Waterfront Commission
February 27, 2018 - Waterfront Commission (Note Adjusted Date)
- Approved Minutes
- FY 2019 Budget Letter to City Council
- FY 2019 Proposed Budget Summary
- King St. Park at the Waterfront Update
March 20, 2018 - Waterfront Commission
- Approved Minutes
- King Street Retail Update
- Residential Parking Program & Motorcoach Presentation
- City Marina Commercial Boating License Presentation
- Residential Pay by Phone Parking Pilot Program
April 17, 2018 - Waterfront Commission
May 15, 2018 - Waterfront Commission
- Union Street Corridor Study Update
- Special Event Policy Waiver Support Letter
- King & Union Streets Pedestrian Letter to City Council
June 16, 2018 - Annual Waterfront Walk from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Note: Windmill Hill Park start, 501 S. Union Street
June 19, 2018 - Waterfront Commission Boat Tour from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
- Note: Assemble at 7:15 a.m. - City Marina Water Taxi Pier
July 2018 - Waterfront Commission: No Meeting
August 2018 - Waterfront Commission: No Meeting
September 18, 2018 - Waterfront Commission
October 16, 2018 - Waterfront Commission
November 20, 2018 - Waterfront Commission
December 18, 2018 - Waterfront Commission