In May 2015 City Council passed a resolution to establish an Ad Hoc Fort Ward Management Plan Implementation Monitoring Group (Monitoring Group). The Monitoring Group met from September 2015 to July 2017. City Staff will continue community engagement and encourages input with the Management Plan as well as the Fort Ward Museum & Historic Site Interpretive Planning project. Please visit the Historic Alexandria web page here for more information regarding the Fort Ward Interpretive Plan Committee.
- 9.27.17 Memo to City Council regarding the Monitoring Group Contributions and Summary of Major Accomplishments
City Contact Information
- Bob WIlliams, Division Chief – Park Operations, Dept. of Recreation, Parks
and Cultural Activities
Fort Ward Park & Museum Area Management Plan
- Final Full Report (549 pages)
- Section I Summary Report
- Section II - Chapters 1-5
- Section II - Best Practices
- Section II - Implementation
- Section II - Plates (Maps)
- Section II - Earthworks
- Section II - Bibliography
- Appendix - Drainage
- Appendix - OHA
- Appendix - History
- Appendix - MOU
- Approved Ground Disturbance Public Notification Protocol
- Revised Fort Ward Park Drainage Master Plan
City of Alexandria to Host Community Meeting Regarding Upcoming Capital Projects in Fort Ward Park
The Department of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities and the Office of Historic Alexandria will host a community meeting regarding Fort Ward Park on Wednesday, December 11, 2019 from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the St. Stephens St. Agnes Middle School, 4401 West Braddock Road.
The meeting will be an opportunity for the community to learn about upcoming 2020 capital projects related to implementation of the Fort Ward Park & Museum Area Management Plan and the Fort Ward Interpretative Plan. For more information, contact Judy Lo, Park Planning Division, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.746.5490.
December 11, 2019 Meeting Presentation
Picnic Furniture & ADA Improvements to begin week of June 13, 2016 - June 9, 2016
The Department of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities will begin replacement of picnic furniture and the installation of other ADA enhancements consistent with the Fort Ward Park & Museum Area Management Plan recommendations. Picnic areas and other park amenities will remain usable throughout the improvement activities. Weather permitting, improvement activities will be completed during the week of July 4, 2016. For additional information, contact Chris Watson, Park Manager, at email@example.com.
Stump Removal to begin Week of January 25, 2016 - January 14, 2016
Tree pruning and removal work began at the Park in late December. As this work continues, we will begin to grind the stumps left from these maintenance activities, as well as other stumps that remain from trees lost during previous snow and other severe weather events. Stump grinding activities will be governed by the Fort Ward Park and Museum Area Management Plan, which identifies areas where minimal ground disturbing activities, including stump grinding is permitted, and approved by the Office of Historic Alexandria. Where required, OHA archaeological staff will be onsite to observe the stump grinding operations. Approximately one hundred stumps from current and previous tree removal operations have been identified. Stumps located in sensitive historical and archaeological sites will be left in place. The work will proceed as weather and ground conditions permit.
Tree Maintenance Work to begin in Fort Ward Park and Museum Area week of December 26 - December 15, 2015
The City of Alexandria will begin the seasonal tree maintenance in Fort Ward Park and Museum Area beginning the week of December 26, 2015 and will continue through January 2016 subject to the weather conditions. The work includes structural and deadwood pruning of fifty-two trees, removal of forty-two dead or diseased trees throughout the park and grinding of remaining tree stumps.
Fort Ward Park Implementation Monitoring Group Meeting Information
- July 25, 2017: RPCA-Park Operations Training Room, 2900-A Business Center Drive at 6:30 p.m.
- March 22, 2017: RPCA-Park Operations Training Room, 2900-A Business Center Drive at 6:30 p.m.
- September 29, 2016: RPCA-Park Operations Training Room, 2900-A Business Center Drive at 6:30 p.m.
- May 31, 2016: Hummel Learning Center/David H. March Library - Episcopal High School, 1200 N. Quaker Lane at 6:30 p.m.
- March 30, 2016: St. Stephens & St. Agnes School Library, 4401 West Braddock Rd. at 6:30 p.m.
- January 21, 2016: Beatley Library Meeting Room, 5005 Duke St. at 6:30 p.m.
- November 12, 2015: Minnie Howard Library/Media Center, 3801 W. Braddock Rd. at 6:30 a.m.
- September 9, 2015: Beatley Library Meeting Room, 5005 Duke St. at 6:30 p.m.