Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities
Announces New Fees for Fiscal Year 2011 — Effective July 1, 2010
On May 3, City Council voted to increase fees in several City departments. The increases were made in response to the City’s current economic challenges, the need to meet Fiscal Year 2011 budget goals, and the increased cost of providing these services to residents and the public.
Effective July 1, 2010, the Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities will increase fees for Field Rentals, Garden Plot Rentals, Youth Sports Registration, and Youth Sports Field Use Fees. In addition, the Department will establish an Adult Fitness Fee for fitness room use.
The following highlights additional information on new and increased fees:
- Field Rentals: The hourly rates for field rentals will increase by $10 per hour for all lighted and non lighted turf and synthetic fields. New fees will be $167/hr lighted & $115/ hr without lights for Artificial Turf Fields, and $115/hr lighted & $63/hr without lights for Natural Turf Fields.
- Garden Plot Rental: The rental rate for full size garden plots (300 sq.ft.) would be increased by $10 per year. Half size garden plots (150 sq.ft.) will be eliminated to provide for the expansion of full size plots from 189 to 200. The new fee for a Full Size Garden Plots is $55 per year.
- Youth Sports Registration: Registration fees for youth sports leagues and programs managed by the City will increase by $5. This includes activities such as youth football, cheerleading, youth basketball, volleyball, and others. The City would continue to provide fee assistance for qualified applicants. The new fee for Youth Sports Registration is $30 per sport.
- Field Use: The field use fee for non-City managed youth sports leagues (i.e. Alexandria Soccer, Little League, and Lacrosse) will increase by $5 per registrant per season. The new fee for Youth Sports Field Use is $10 per registrant per season.
- Adult Fitness: The establishment of an Adult Fitness fee for adults applies to the use of the fitness rooms at Nannie J. Lee, William Ramsay, Charles Houston, and Cora Kelly Recreation Centers. This fee will apply to fitness room use only, and use of gymnasiums and game rooms at these facilities will continue to be free during non-programmed (i.e. sports leagues and rentals) operating hours for City resident use only. The City would continue to provide fee assistance for qualified applicants. The new fee for Adult Fitness is:
- Single Use - “Guest” Pass: Resident $4/Nonresident $8;
- 10-Visit Pass: Resident $35/Nonresident $75;
- 20-Visit Pass: Resident $60/Nonresident $135;
- 3-Month Pass: Resident $30/Nonresident $80;
- 6-Month Pass: Resident $50/Nonresident $145;
- Annual Pass: Resident $100/Nonresident $200.
For additional information regarding Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities fees, visit www.alexandriava.gov/recreation or call 703.746.4343.