Special Events

Page updated on Jan 23, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Special Events & Activities

The City of Alexandria is committed to facilitating a wide range of special events that highlight the diverse communities within the City. Venues, including, but not limited to, Oronoco Bay ParkWaterfront ParkJoseph Hensley Park and Ben Brenman Park are avail­able for large scale special events. For additional information on how to apply to hold a special event in the City of Alexandria, call the Office of Special Events at 703.746.5418.

  • How to Begin 
  • Initial Application Process to File for Special Event Approval & Identify City Permit Requirements

How to Begin 

  • Special Event Applications will be reviewed on a case by case basis. A nonrefundable $50 application fee is due at the time of submission of a Special Events Application.
  • Special Event  Applications are submitted to:
    • City of Alexandria Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities
      Attn.: Office of Special Events
      1108 Jefferson St.
      Alexandria VA 22314.
  • Special Event Applications will be reviewed by the Office of Special Events, and if complete, the application will be forwarded to the Special Events Committee for initial review. Applicants do not need to contact each City Department prior to the application review.
  • The City’s Special Events Committee will make decisions on granting or denying this application based on the criteria specified in the City of Alexandria Policies and Procedures Manual adopted by City Council on January 23, 2010.
  • After the initial review by the Special Events Committee, the Office of Special Events will schedule a meeting between the Special Events Committee and the applicant to provide final review and make preliminary approval for the proposed event. The applicant will receive, in writing, notification of any permits required and the necessary contact information prior to this meeting. Permits required must be filed a minimum of 30 days in advance of the event date. Organizers may not promote their activity until preliminary approval has been received by the Special Events Committee.
  • To ensure adequate time to review and file all appropriate permits, it is recommended that Special Event Applications be submitted a minimum of 180-days in advance of the event date. Permits will be determined by the Special Event Committee after submission and evaluation of the special event application.