What is a Safe Place?
- A community program in which a local agency hosts a network of locations where youth in crisis can get immediate help
- 24-hour access to immediate help and support for all young people in crisis
- A network of sites and resources sustained by qualified agencies, trained volunteers and businesses
- A Safety Net for youth that focuses on Intervention and Prevention
How was it Developed?
- Developed in Louisville, KY 1982 and began to be replicated in other cities in 1987
- Program began in response to many calls to the YMCA Shelter House from youth who did not have a way to get there after running away
- Bright yellow and black diamond-shaped signs or decals
- Every official Safe Place will have this sign attached to the outside of each location
What are the Benefits of Safe Place?
- Offers immediate help and safety
- Creates more awareness for abused, neglected and runaway youth
- Provides opportunities for city agencies and communities to partner
- Law enforcement connects with youth and offer help
- Connects our community to a national program and recognized signage of immediate help and safety
- Displaying Safe Place signs signal a commitment to youth safety
- Provides support to already existing services
How Does Safe Place Work for a Youth Seeking Help?
- A youth in crisis enters a location displaying a Safe Place sign and verbally or non-verbally seeks help
- The youth will wait in a quiet comfortable place while the site Safe Place Manager or the Alexandria Safe Place office is called
- The assigned responder will take over and assess the youth to determine the next step
- If necessary, the youth is transported to a youth service agency
- Counseling and shelter services are arranged, if needed
Where are Safe Place Sites Located in Alexandria?
- Safe Place Locations (updated August 1, 2017)
Who Do I Contact About Safe Place Information, Presentations or Staff Trainings?
- Contact the Alexandria Safe Place Office at 703.746.5400 or Michael Johnson, Alexandria’s National Safe Place Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.746.5571.