Note: Project is complete: Site is for historical reference.
The scope of facility improvements is highly invasive to the structure and interior spaces, necessitating the full closure of the facility. The full closure during the improvement period will ensure public safety, reduce costs and shorten the improvement period. The Chinquapin Park Recreation Center reopened to the public on November 1, 2013.
- Project Cost and Scope of Work
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Photographic Progress Update - updated November 13, 2013 (final)
- Aquatic Facilities
- Class & Activity Registration
- Youth Camps
- Recreation Centers
- A complete renovation and upgrade to the heating and air-conditioning system. This will increase the level of comfort, controls and air quality throughout the center including the public restrooms and locker rooms, fitness room, muti-purpose rooms, child play area, administration and programming suite, mezzanine and open area.
- New work includes replacement and upgrade of the entire main mechanical room equipment and systems. This mechanical upgrade is designed to reduce humidity level in the swimming area and locker rooms and increased user comfort throughout the facility.
- In order to minimize inconvenience for our customers, the City will redistribute many of the popular programs usually held at Chinquapin as follows:
- All camps normally scheduled for the summer will operate at Francis C. Hammond Middle School.
- All “land” classes normally scheduled for the summer will be held at other Department facilities. Check class listings for locations.
- Swim lessons normally scheduled at Chinquapin will be scheduled at the outdoor pools.
- All valid Chinquapin Fitness Passes will be honored at all Department fitness facilities.
- All valid Chinquapin Aquatic Passes will be honored at all Department outdoor pools.
- All outdoor pools will have hours to accommodate swim lessons and lap swimming (Weather Permitting).
- The normal summer swim lessons will continue at the Old Town and Charles Houston Memorial pools. Visit alexandriava.gov/pools for individual pool schedule of events and lane availability.
For additional information, call the Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities at 703.746.4343.