For Immediate Release: December 5, 2013
Project resources for land acquisition and construction of the park were provided by Potomac Yard Development, LLC as part of the Potomac Yard development. The project was approved by the Alexandria Planning Commission and City Council in June 2008.
“We have been a part of the community since 1960, and have a long-standing history of being a community partner. Pulte Homes’ responsibility is not just to build homes, but to build and improve communities and positively impact the lives of our neighbors. It was an honor to provide a sizable public park for all residents, especially children, to enjoy and gather as a community,” said Lewis Birnbaum, Mid Atlantic Division President of Pulte Homes.
The new 24 acre park includes:
- Two multipurpose athletic fields at Simpson Park
- The new restroom and park maintenance facility at Simpson Park
- A universally accessible playground
- An interactive fountain
- Sport courts including two tennis, two basketball, and two volleyball courts
- Special events stage
- Multi-use trail with fitness stations
- Furnishings, including trash receptacles, benches, water fountains and bike racks
- Historic interpretive elements and signs
- Stormwater infrastructure
The City of Alexandria is committed to compliance with the City’s Human Rights Code and the Americans with Disabilities Act. To request a reasonable accommodation or to request materials in an alternative format, contact Jack Browand, Division Chief, at 703.746.5504 (VA Relay 711) or e-mail email@example.com.