After the league registration deadline, players will be assessed a late fee and will be placed on teams based on space availability. Registration for all Youth Sports leagues and activities must be accompanied by a birth certificate unless one is already on file in the Sports Office.
Registration forms can be downloaded from this page, completed and mailed in with required fees and information to the Registration and Reservation Office at 1108 Jefferson St., Alexandria, Virginia 22314-3999. Online registration is also available, please visit www.alexandriava.gov/Recreation.
For information on youth sports leagues and programs call 703.746.5402. For around-the-clock information about game cancellations, call the Youth Sports Hotline at 703.746.5597.
All City of Alexandria Athletic Fields are by permit only and available for rental on a first come, first serve basis. You must complete the Field and Court Request Form and receive approval before a permit will be issued.
Athletic Field Hotline: For field closure information, call 703.746.5597.
Athletic Fields and Outdoor Courts may be reserved, and appropriate fees will be charged. See fee schedule below. To make a request to reserve a field or outdoor court, complete an Athletic Field and Outdoor Court Request Form.
- FY 2016 RPCA Fee Schedule - Effective July 1
Sports Group Affiliate Policy
The City of Alexandria, through its Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities (hereafter "City" or "RPCA"), recognizes that certain organizations exist within the City whose purpose is to serve and enhance recreational opportunities for specific purposes and groups. These organizations are separate and independent from the City and provide their own leadership, organizational and operational structure. Although the stated missions of these organizations may differ, investment in public recreational facilities and programs creates a mutually beneficial partnership in which to provide quality recreation opportunities for all the individuals served by the parties, as well as the general public.
RPCA fosters strong relationships with our Sports Group Affiliates in accordance with the City’s Athletic Facilities Community Allocation Policy. RPCA works closely with existing organizations on such matters as field and facility assignments, usage, scheduling, and administrative matters. The programs and services of City affiliated groups are considered an integral part of sports offerings and opportunities within the City. The relationship between the Sports Group Affiliates and RPCA is intended to enhance the athletic opportunities and enjoyment for City residents.
The Sports Office is currently seeking volunteers to coach baseball, basketball, cheerleading, field hockey, football (flag & tackle), softball, track & field and volleyball. Criminal background checks are required by all volunteer coaches. Coaches are provided training opportunities. For additional information on volunteer opportunities and the leagues, call the Sports Office at 703.746.5402 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Volunteer coaches are required to attend the National Youth Sports Coaches Alliance (NYSCA) certification clinic. Clinic dates are scheduled before each sports season.
National Youth Sports Coaches Alliance (NYSCA)
The Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities sponsors the National Youth Sports Alliance coaches certification program. NYSCA provides volunteer youth coaches with valuable information on the psychology of coaching children, first aid, safety, how to organize fun and interesting practices, maximizing athletic performance, tips on teaching sports techniques, how to help children to avoid drugs as well as many other important areas.
To become an NYSCA member, coaches must pass a written test on the material presented during the clinic and sign the Coaches’ Code of Ethics pledge, which stresses the importance of placing the emotional and physical well-being of players ahead of personal desire to win. For additional information regarding coaching certification programs, please call 703.746.5402.
Mid-Atlantic Recreation and Parks Sports Alliance (MARPSA)
The City of Alexandria along with a number of other local jurisdictions is a proud member of the MARPSA organization. The purpose of the MARPSA is to develop and communicate a consistent message that organizations and their players, coaches and spectators will be held accountable to a code of conduct that promotes sportsmanship and keeps recreational competitive and non-competitive sporting activities in proper prospective. For more information, visit their website www.marpsa.org. The annual Mid-Atlantic Recreation and Parks Sports Alliance GoodSport Awards Ceremony is held in February each year at the Maryland State House in Annapolis. The event includes a reception co-hosted by the Alliance and the Speaker of the Maryland House of Delegates, followed by recognition of all recipients at the evenings General Assembly session.
All players, coaches and parents are required to complete a Code of Conduct Form before participating in the any youth sports program in Alexandria.
Past Mid-Atlantic Recreation and Parks Sports Alliance Winners:
- 2004 - Louis Robertson - Coach, Danielle Thorne - Athlete
- 2005 - Chick Armstrong - Coach, Jalen Bailey - Athlete
- 2006 - David Bledsoe - Coach, Julian Brickey - Athlete
- 2007 - Lamont Whiteside - Coach, Debra Hisey - Athlete
- 2008 - Rob Richardson - Coach, Soraya Diggins - Athlete
- 2009 - Walter Coleman Jr. - Coach, Alex Duke - Athlete
- 2011 - Dave Curtis - Coach, Alexus Foreman - Athlete
- 2012 - Nat Thomas - Coach, Jackson Lewis - Athlete, Jeff Murphy - Administrator
- 2013 - Julius Doc Moultrie - Coach, Cade Linehan - Athlete, Jim Gibson - Administrator, Curtis Smith - Official
- 2014 - Gordon Shelly - Coach, Erika Harwood - Athlete, Kenny Robinson - Official, Omega Psi Phi - Volunteer
- 2015 - Moses Alford - Coach, Calvin Brown - Athlete, Liz Blount- Volunteer
Youth Sports Advisory Board
The advisory board is made of representatives from each of the youth sports organizations and high schools within the City of Alexandria who meet on a regular basis to discuss common issues surrounding youth sports and make recommendations to improve the youth sports programs, facilities and fields within the City of Alexandria. Note: Minutes are approved at the next scheduled meeting.
- Youth Sports Advisory Board Agenda Summaries
- 2016 Youth Sports Advisory Board Meetings
- 2015 Youth Sports Advisory Board Meetings
- 2014 Youth Sports Advisory Board Meetings
- 2013 Youth Sports Advisory Board Meetings
- 2012 Youth Sports Advisory Board Meetings
- 2011 Youth Sports Advisory Board Meetings
- 2010 Youth Sports Advisory Board Meetings
- 2009 Youth Sports Advisory Board Meetings
- 2008 Youth Sports Advisory Board Meetings
Alexandria Titans Tackle Football (Ages 7 - 14)
Ages 7 - 16 as of October 1, 2016. The Alexandria Titans are a member of the Fairfax County Youth Football League (FCYFL). The FCYFL is a full contact tackle football league. Teams are formed based on ability as well as by the age/weight chart. Teams are formed in the following divisions: Anklebiter (AB), 80, 90, 100, 115, 130 and 155 pounds. Practices will begin in August with league play beginning in September. Each participant is required to have their own current Department of Motor Vehicle Identification Card in order to play in the league and receive equipment. Open to City of Alexandria residents only.
- Registration Deadline: August 1
- Registration Fee: $90
- Register online here. (Activity Number - 222702)
- For more information on the Alexandria Titans Tackle Football Program click here or contact the Sports Office at 703.746.5402.
- Dates to Remember:
- July 30: Equipment Distribution from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. at Lee Center (1108 Jefferson St.)
- August 1 - August 4: Preseason Camp from 6 p.m - 8 p.m. at George Washington Middle School (1005 Mt. Vernon Ave.)
- August 6: Equipment Distribution from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. at Lee Center (1108 Jefferson St.)
- August 8: First Day of Practice from 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. at George Washington Middle School (1005 Mt. Vernon Ave.)
- August 13: Official League Weigh in at Falls Church High School (Time TBD)
- August 20: Official League Weigh in at Falls Church High School (Time TBD/$20 fee)
- August 27: Official League Weigh in at Falls Church High School (Time TBD/$20 fee)
- September 17: League Games Begin
Lil' Titans Flag Football (Ages 5 & 6)
Ages 5 & 6 as of October 1, 2016. This developmental program will introduce participants to the sport of football. The first week's clinic will focus on the skills and rules of the game. Participants will be divided into teams for league games by recreation districts. Registration Period: 3/16 - 8/31. City of Alexandria residents only.
- Registration Deadline: August 31
- Registration Fee: $75
- Register online here. (Activity Number - 222704)
Miracle Baseball League Of Alexandria (Ages 6 - Young Adults)
Mission of Program: The Miracle Baseball League of Alexandria provides opportunities for children and young adults with mental and/or physical challenges to play baseball regardless of their ability. The participants will have the opportunity to hit, run the bases and score a run. Our mission is to provide children between the ages of 6 -17 and young adults 18 years & up access to sports programs for kids of all abilities and levels. Major League 1 - for participants with moderate to severe disabilities. Major League 2 - for participants wanting a “less intense, less competitive and more relaxed" atmosphere where they can be successful and enjoy the game just for its own sake without the pressure of the competitive and more intense league play in Little League. Each participant will have a “Angels in the Outfield” volunteer buddy to assist them in hitting and running the bases. Players will receive a major league baseball replica jersey and a hat. For additional information, call the Sports Office at 703.746.5402 or Therapeutic Recreation at 703.746.5422.
Miracle Baseball League of Alexandria - Donations Accepted: Want to donate to the construction of the new Miracle Baseball Field in Alexandria or sponsor a child to play in the league? Go to Miracle Baseball League of Alexandria’s (MBLA) website at www.miracleleagueofalexandria.com. For more information on the National Miracle League program, visit www.miracleleague.com.
Rock your park with free community open play days. Families, friends and neighbors of all ages are encouraged to visit our fields to exercise, play soccer, lacrosse, touch football, rugby, frisbee and much more. To view the schedule for 2015 - 2016 click here.
Below are some guidelines to follow as you participate:
• For City residents only.
• Show courtesy to all other field users.
• No permits or registration will be required and use will be on a first come, first served basis.
• No uniformed teams or structured games will be allowed.
• Must provide your own equipment/balls.
• Tennis shoes or turf athletic shoes must be worn on the field.
• When more than two pick up teams are playing, a time limit will be enforced.
• No pets, smoking, alcohol, music will be allowed at the fields.
• All trash must be deposed of in the trash containers.
• Youth must be accompanied by a parent or an adult chaperone.
• Please follow all field and park regulations.
• HAVE FUN!!!!
We look forward to seeing you in our parks and our fields. If you have any questions, please call 703.746.5402 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Alexandria Titans Track & Field Club (Ages 7 - 14)
Ages 7 - 14 as of Aug. 31, 2016. The track club competes in local track meets held around the metropolitan area on Saturdays/Sundays. Practices are Tuesday and Thursday from 6 - 7:30 p.m. at T.C. Williams High School. Participants will receive the basic skills and techniques of track and field with an emphasis on teamwork, sportsmanship, commitment and healthy competition. Available to City of Alexandria residents only.
Alexandria Rugby Club (Ages 5 - 15)
For program and registration information, please visit www.alexandriarugby.org.
Alexandria Little League Baseball (Ages 8 - 15)
For program and registration information, please visit www.alexandriabaseball.com.
Alexandria Lacrosse Club for Boys (Grades 1-8) & Girls (Grades 3-8)
For program and registration information, please visit www.alexandrialacrosse.com.
Alexandria Soccer Association (Ages 5 - 19)
For program and registration information, please visit www.alexandria-soccer.org or call 703.684.5425.
Youth Boxing Program (Ages 8-17)
Alexandria Boxing Club, Inc. Learn basic boxing skills. The boxing program consists of training in eight disciplines, and all necessary equipment is provided. Registrations are accepted Mon Fri, 6 8 pm at the Fred Smith Boxing Center, 901 Wythe St. Parental permission required. For information about the boxing program and our new kick boxing class call 703.746.5552.