City of Alexandria to Hold Inaugural Alexandria International Festival on Saturday, October 24
For Immediate Release: October 15, 2015
The City of Alexandria’s Inaugural International Festival is scheduled for Saturday, October 24, from noon to 7 p.m., at Waterfront Park, 1A Prince Street in Historic Old Town Alexandria. Admission is free and the event will be held rain or shine.
Come and indulge yourself with multi-cultural food and beverages. The International Cuisine area features Thai, Ethiopian, Armenian, Afghan, American and more available for purchase. Dress in your favorite ethnic garment and bring your cultural flag to hang and showcase your heritage. This is a family fun event with many engaged activities for all to enjoy; dress comfortably to celebrate and explore the many world cultures!
Entertainment includes performances from around the world:
- Cambodia: The Cambodian Circus, the Phare Ponleu Selpak and the NGO School of Arts which is touring the United States;
- Ireland: The Irish Breakfast Band with traditional Irish folk music and featuring Irish dancers; Mexico: Mariachi Aguila DC;
- Armenia: Arev Dance Group in their gorgeous traditional garments;
- Morocco the renowned Gnawa Jazz Group and Soul Band performances that will have you dancing;
- Bolivia: Fraternidas Cultural Pachamama, dance and music group, stepping in their beautiful colorful garments; and
- Africa: African Dance performances;
- World Open Market to purchase items from around the world from over 30 countries;
- Children’s Village with passport activities, dancing, yoga, hands-on activities, face painting, karate demonstrations, Zumba for kids and educational activities; and
- A variety of community organizations and City Departments will feature children activities and exhibits.
The Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities is sponsoring this festival in partnership with Audio Video Action Company.
Visitors to the historic district are encouraged to take the Metro Yellow or Blue lines to the King Street Station in Old Town and take the free King Street Trolley, DASH or Metro Buses to the park. The King Street Trolley will also operate on an extended schedule for individuals wishing to return to the King Street Metro following the celebration. The last trolley will depart lower King Street at 11:45 p.m. For DASH schedule information, call 703.746.DASH or visit dashbus.com. For Metrobus schedule information, call 202.637.7000 or visit wmata.com.
For more information, call the Special Events Hotline at 703.746.5592 or the Special Events Office at 703.746.5418.
The City of Alexandria is committed to compliance with the City’s Human Rights Code and the Americans with Disabilities Act. To request a reasonable accommodation or to request materials in an alternative format, call Cheryl Lawrence, Regional Program Director, at 703.746.5419 (Virginia Relay 711), or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.