- Windmill Hill Park Master Plan Final - April 14, 2003
- 2009 Windmill Hill Park Bulkhead Inspection Report - January 23, 2009
- 2012 Windmill Hill Park Bulkhead Inspection Report - March 9, 2012
- Windmill Hill Park Presentation to Park & Recreation and Waterfront Commissions - April 2012
- June 5, 2012 Community Meeting Information
- Public Invited to Attend Community Open House to Provide Comment on Safety Fence Design Options at Windmill Hill Park Bulkhead - August 15, 2012
- Windmill Hill Park Bulkhead Safety Fence Options - August 2012
- Rehabilitation Project Timeline
- Scientists Worry That the Chesapeake’s Natural
Shoreline is Turning into a Wall - Washington Post 12/27/15
Shoreline/Bulkhead Rehabilitation Project Community Participation
- Community Meeting #1 - February 12, 2015
- Community Meeting #2 - April 13, 2015
- Commission Meeting Presentations - May 18, 19 & 21, 2015
- City Council Consideration
- Community Meeting #3 - December 10, 2015
- Community Meeting #4 - February 27, 2016
The City of Alexandria will host a community update meeting on the design progress for the bulkhead replacement and shoreline improvements at Windmill Hill Park, 501 S. Union St. The meeting will take place Saturday, February 27, from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., at Windmill Hill Park, 501 S. Union St. The meeting will be held rain or shine. The primary meeting objectives will be to answers questions on the planned tree removal scheduled for the Week of February 29 through March 4, and to provide design updates based on comments received from the December 2015 community meeting. There will be opportunities for attendees to ask questions and to provide feedback.
- Windmill Hill Park Shoreline Project Landscape Plan - July 12, 2016
- Community Update - August 30, 2016
The City of Alexandria expects to award a contract to begin construction of the Windmill Hill Park Shoreline Rehabilitation project in late September 2016. The park portion east of Union St., including the dog park, is expected to be closed during construction. Construction is anticipated to be substantially complete in October 2017.
- eNews Release - August 30, 2016
- Community Update - November 11, 2016
This past summer, the City informed the community a contract would be awarded in early fall allowing for construction to begin on the Windmill Hill Park shoreline rehabilitation project. On September 12, 2016, the City issued a notice of contract award to Sagres Construction Corporation. During review of Sagres’ bid, City staff determined that the costs of a few nonessential items were excessive. The contract allowed the City to award the work in part or in hole and the City exercised this option by removing items that were non-essential and excessively priced. As a result, the contractor disputed the City’s right to award the contract in art and filed a lawsuit against the City.
In an effort to avoid litigation, thereby saving legal costs and a potential construction delay of up o two years due to the likely court litigation, the City and the contractor entered into an agreement in which the contractor dismissed the court action and agreed that the City could issue new solicitation for the project. Earlier this week, the parties signed and filed a dismissal order with the court. After the lawsuit is dismissed, the City will advertise the solicitation with the aim of making an award in early 2017 with construction anticipated to begin in early spring 2017.
- Community Update - March 6, 2017
The City of Alexandria awarded a contract to Environmental Quality Resources, LLC (EQR) to begin construction of the Windmill Hill Park Shoreline Rehabilitation project this spring. The project consists of replacing the failed bulkhead and eroding shoreline along the river with a “living shoreline,” as approved by City Council in June of 2015. Improvements will also be made to Union St. adjacent to the park, consistent with the Union Street Corridor Study.
- Community Meeting #5 - April 18, 2017
The City of Alexandria will host a community pre-construction meeting for the living shoreline and park improvements at Windmill Hill Park and the related pedestrian improvements along South Union St. The meeting will take place Tuesday, April 18, from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Windmill Hill Park, 501 S. Union St. The meeting will be held rain or shine. The primary meeting objectives will be to discuss the anticipated construction timeline and answers questions on the rehabilitation project planned to begin in early May. City staff from the Departments of Project Implementation and Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities, the construction manager, and the contractor, Environmental Quality Resources, LLC (EQR), will be in attendance.