Simpson Park Playground and Passive Lawn Renovation
Location: 426 East Monroe Avenue
Project: In 2014, the City completed a Citywide Parks Improvement Plan, including a plan for Simpson Park. The plan called for renovation of the Simpson Playground and its adjacent open space, as shown in the area marked in the red dashed line below. After receiving a Land and Water Conservation Grant, the City is able to implement this recommendation.
The City hired the Alexandria-based landscape architecture firm Lardner/Klein to lead the design process and May + Watkins to incorporate public art within the site. The project implements recommendations from the 2014 Citywide Parks Improvement Plan, which called to (1) improve the open space to accommodate multiple passive uses and activities in Simpson and (2) renovate Simpson playground, including a new configuration, shade, surfacing, and equipment suitable for ages 2-12. The design also aims to connect passive use areas, making it family friendly for multiple age groups.
Funding: Capital Improvement Program, Playground Renovation Program and the Land and Water Conservation Fund
Status: Construction Phase
- Construction: June 15 - December 15, 2018
- Procurement: Fall 2017
- Construction Documents: Approved Summer 2017
- Concept Design: May 2016 through October 2016
Public workshop #1: May 25, 2016
Public workshop #2: September 8, 2016 at 7pm Mt. Vernon Recreation Center
Public workshop #3: October 17, 2016, 7pm Mt. Vernon Community School
- Construction Design Development: October 2016 through Spring 2017
Contact: To email the Project Manager, click here.
Lardner/Klein have developed a final concept plan, shown below. They provided three design alternatives in Spring 2016, and based on the feedback received from previously submitted designs, they developed one draft concept plan. The draft concept plan was further refined to incorporate comments received throughout the September and October 2016 public comment period. Thank you for your input.
- Results of survey on Final Concept Plan (Released September 8, 2016)
- Results of survey on three concept plans (Spring 2016)
October 17, 2016 Community Meeting
September 8, 2016 Community Meeting
Construction Updates: Information about construction progress will be provided here.
- The construction contract was awarded on May 17, 2018 to DeBorn Construction. The Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities will hold a Community Pre-Construction meeting on June 14, 2018, 7:00 p.m. at the Mount Vernon Recreation Center, 2701 Commonwealth Avenue. City staff and the Contractor will provide information about the project scope, construction activities, and are available to answer any questions. Construction will occur from June 15 -December 15, 2018.
- The Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities held a public meeting on Monday, October 17, 2016, about the playground equipment, playground fencing, and playground surfacing proposed in the Final Concept Plan. The meeting was held at the Mount Vernon Community School, Multi-Purpose Room, 2601 Commonwealth Avenue, Alexandria, Virginia, 22301.
- The Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activites (RPCA) held a workshop to obtain feedback on the Final Concept Plan on Thursday, September 8, 2016.
RPCA held a workshop to obtain community input on the Simpson Park playground and adjacent lawn renovation on Wednesday, May 25, 2016.
- March 2016: RPCA hired the Alexandria-based landscape architecture firm Lardner/Klein to lead the design process and May + Watkins to incorporate public art within the site.
- November 2014: On November 10, 2014 Staff received a confirmation letter from the Department of Conservation and Recreation to approve a Land and Water Conservation Fund grant in the amount of $200,000 for renovation of the Simpson Park Playground and Open Lawn. The City will match this grant through funds in the Capital Improvement Plan playground account.
- LWCF Confirmation Letter - Simpson Park