Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities Department Announces Out of School Time Program Updates
For Immediate Release: June 21, 2017
This announcement includes updated program dates.
The theme of the 2017-18 Out of School Time Program is “Passport to Fun!” where children are invited to explore the world through fun, adventure and discovery while making new friends. Participants are placed in age groups with highly trained and professional recreation leaders who rotate through scheduled activities in creative and performing arts, music, history, fine arts, sports, fitness and health, education and leisure, field trips and family events.
2017 Summer Out of School Time Program Updates:
- Registration is currently open for the Power-On (ages 6-12) and Power-Up (ages 12-14) summer programs taking place Monday through Friday June 26-August 18 at various locations across Alexandria. Register online at www.alexandriava.gov/webtrac, in-person at the program hosting site during operating hours, or in-person 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday through Friday at Lee Center’s Registration & Reservation Office, 1108 Jefferson St.
- Register early to save a space and avoid the Summer Program fee increase from $315 to $325, effective July 1.
- Effective June 23 at 7 p.m. through June 30, registration will only be accepted in-person at Lee Center’s Registration & Reservation Office, 1108 Jefferson St. to ensure the highest quality programs at hosting sites. Pre-registration is required to attend a program.
- To extend the summer fun, Extra Fun Weeks will take place Monday through Friday August 21-September 1 at Cora Kelly, William Ramsay and Charles Houston Recreation Centers. The fee is $75/week.
- Before care will be available 7-9 a.m. for an additional $39/week throughout the summer.
2017-18 School Year Out of School Time Program Updates:
- Registration for the 2017-18 School Year Power On Program will begin on July 1. The program fee will be $445. Register online at www.alexandriava.gov/WebTrac, in-person at the program hosting site during operating hours, or in-person 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday through Friday at Lee Center’s Registration & Reservation Office, 1108 Jefferson St.
- The school year program takes place September 5, 2017-June 22, 2018 Monday through Friday, from school dismissal to 6 p.m.
- In support of the Resource Allocation and Cost Recovery Policy adopted by City Council, recreation programs have a required minimum enrollment to meet their target tier cost recovery goal. Over the last two years, the Power-Up Program at Francis C. Hammond Middle School has not met its minimum enrollment. Due to the lack of interest, the Power-Up Program located at Francis C. Hammond Middle School will not be offered for the 2017-18 school year. For more information about the City Council adopted Resource Allocation and Cost Recovery Policy, please visit alexandriava.gov/12288. For information about available programs and activities, please contact Recreation Services Division Chief Margaret Orlando at 703.746.5429 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In-person registration requires: completed and signed registration forms; photo identification; and proof of City of Alexandria residency.
For information about more summer camp options with space available and upcoming afterschool programs, visit www.alexandriava.gov/Recreation or call the Registration & Reservation Office at 703.746.5414.
The City of Alexandria is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. To request a reasonable accommodation or to request materials in an alternative format, contact the Registration & Reservation Office at 703.746.5414.