Frequently Asked Questions

Have questions about visiting an inmate, requesting an eviction, becoming a Deputy Sheriff or bringing certain items inside the Alexandria Courthouse? Check here for the answers to these and other FAQs.

Page updated on Jan 14, 2022 at 4:05 PM

How do I get a civil paper served?

To have a paper served, submit two copies of each document to be served to the Sheriff's Office (either in person or by mail). One copy is to be served and the second is for return to you. Include a stamped envelope listing the address you wish the second copy to be mailed once it is served. The service fee for in-state (Virginia) documents is $12 per document, payable by check, money order or cash, if paying directly at the Sheriff's Office. The Office does not accept cash sent through the mail. The out of state fee (for any document originating from another state) is $75 per document per person, in certified funds only. Checks for service fees are to be made payable to the Alexandria Sheriff's Office.

Depending on the type of document being served, service fees may be included with the fees submitted to the issuing Court Clerk's Office. Check with the issuing Clerk for clarification. Please note that certain Alexandria addresses are not actually located in the City of Alexandria's jurisdiction. Call 703.746.4120 if you are unsure whether the Alexandria address is within the City's limits, or if you have any other questions about legal process service.

Who do I call to find out if someone is being held at the Detention Center?

Call the Detention Center daily between the hours of 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. at 703.746.5000 for charge, bond and court date. After business hours, you may call 703.746.5050.

How do I visit an inmate at the Detention Center? 

In person social visitation is currently suspended due to COVID-19. All inmate social visits must be prearranged through the inmate. Therefore, you may not visit with an inmate unless he or she has already advised that you are coming. Prior to your visit, the inmate must sign you up for a specific date and time on the visitation schedule. Visitors must be 18 years of age unless accompanied by a parent or guardian. Be sure to review these guidelines in advance of your visit. Visitation hours are:

Monday, Wednesday and Thursday - 7:30 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday - 9 a.m. - 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.
No visiting on Friday and Tuesday 

What items can be sent through the mail to an inmate at the Detention Center? 

The Detention Center only accepts letters through the mail. You may send pictures of the non-polaroid type, no larger than 4" x 6", however, each inmate may have only 10 pictures in their possession. Money orders or cashier's checks may also be sent for inmate canteen purposes. Be sure to put the inmate's name and your name and address on the money order or cashier's check. You may not send cash to an inmate at the Detention Center. Cards, packages and other items are not permitted. Letters should be mailed to the attention of the inmate at: William G. Truesdale Adult Detention Center, 2001 Mill Road, Alexandria, VA 22314. Include your return address on the envelope.

What is the process for participating in an alternative program? 

Individuals wishing to participate in Work Release, Modified Work Release or Home Electronic Monitoring should call the Alternative Programs Section at 703.746.5110 or 703.746.5134.

Can I drop off items or money for an inmate? 

Money orders may be dropped off at the Detention Center's Visitor Center 24 hours a day, seven days per week. Be sure to put the inmate's name and your name and address on the money order or cashier's check. You may also deposit funds to their account online for a fee. You may not bring personal items to an inmate, however, in certain circumstances, the Detention Center will accept clothing for an inmate to wear to court, or medically indicated items cleared by the Detention Center's Medical Unit. For further information, call the Detention Center at 703.746.5043.

What can I bring in with me to the courthouse? 

Items not allowed in the Courthouse include:

  • Firearms of any kind
  • Sharp objects (knives, forks, razor blades, scissors, etc.)
  • Tools (screwdrivers, cutters, hammers, etc.)
  • Cameras
  • Glass bottles
  • Mace or pepper spray
  • Aerosol cans or spray bottles
  • Combustible or potentially explosive item

How do I schedule an eviction? 

After having complied with the process to request eviction from the court, and you have a Writ of Possession, the Sheriff's Office will serve the Writ on your tenant. The fee for service is $12 tenant, made payable to the Alexandria Sheriff's Office in check, money order, or cash, if paying directly at the Sheriff's Office. The Office does not accept cash sent through the mail.

After the appeal period has lapsed, a Deputy Sheriff will contact you to arrange a date for the actual eviction to take place. On the day of eviction, you will be required to do one of the following:

  • Have a crew present to move the tenant's property to the public way (public sidewalk) and a locksmith, if needed, to change the lock(s) on the door(s) to the unit, OR
  • Change the locks, but permit access by the tenant(s) for a period of 24 hours so that the tenant can move their property themselves, after which any remaining property must be disposed of according to the rules specified by the building management or local ordinance.

For further information on evictions, call:

Can I be notified when an inmate is released from jail? 

The Sheriff's Office does not disclose an inmate's release date or time in advance. If you are a victim of a crime committed by an inmate at the Detention Center, you will receive a telephone call and written notification of that inmate's scheduled release date. In order to receive this notification, you must register with the Commonwealth's Attorney's Victim/Witness Assistance Program by calling 703.746.4100. Anyone can register with VINELink to be notified after an inmate has been released.

Can I leave a message for an inmate at the Detention Center? 

Inmates may not receive incoming calls, however, for verifiable emergencies, a message may be left for an inmate by calling the Detention Center's 24 hour number at 703.746.4099.

Can inmates receive books or magazine subscriptions? 

Inmates may not receive books through the mail nor magazine subscriptions, but they may receive newspapers through a subscription.

How do I contact the company in charge of the inmate telephone system? Do I need to set up a telephone account? 

In order to receive telephone calls from an inmate at the Detention Center, you must call Securus Technology, the inmate telephone service provider, at 800.844.6591 and set up a pre-paid or direct bill account.

Can I pick up property or have it sent to me from an inmate at the Detention Center? 

The inmate must contact the Detention Center's Property Deputy to authorize persons to pick up property. If the inmate has money and wishes to do so, he or she can pay to have the property sent to you. No property will be sent out or allowed to be picked up if the inmate has not provided written permission for the release.

How do I compliment or make a complaint about a Sheriff's Office employee? 

We encourage your feedback about how well we are serving you. To share a compliment, please call the Communications Unit at 703.746.5014 or send an  email. To make a complaint, please contact Lieutenant Dave Cutting at 703.746.5156 or send an email.

How can I become a volunteer? 

The Sheriff's Office welcomes volunteers as vital to our Operations. To volunteer, please contact our Volunteer/Programs Coordinator at 703.746.5022, or send an email. All volunteers must submit a volunteer application, undergo a criminal history background check and participate in an orientation session.

How can I become a Deputy Sheriff? 

The Sheriff's Office maintains open recruitment for the position of Deputy Sheriff. The process for becoming a Deputy Sheriff is explained elsewhere on this website under " Become a Deputy Sheriff."

What are the addresses, telephone numbers and directions to the Sheriff's Office? 

You may telephone the Sheriff's Office as indicated below:

Sheriff Sean Casey

Undersheriff Tim Gleeson
Judicial and Special Operations Bureau Commander

Chief Deputy Robyn Nichols
Administrative Services Bureau

Chief Deputy Rawle Kelly
Support Services Bureau

Chief Deputy Shelbert Williams
Detention Center Bureau

Captain Quentin Wade
Captain of Security, Detention Center

Captain A. Lynn Oliver
Security, Detention Center

Support Services

Lieutenant Larry Richardson
Judicial Services and Special Operations

Chris Whelan
Human Resources Section

Cicely Woodrow 
Chief Financial Officer

David Nye
Technical Services

LaTanya Ervin 
Inmate Services

Administrative Services

Amy Bertsch
Communications Specialist

Community Relations
Community Relations Supervisor


Detention Center Information (available 24 hours a day)

Detention Center Watch Commander

Courthouse Information

Detention Center Records & Inmate Information

Volunteer Coordinator




Inmate Property

Alternative Programs

Visitation Information

Inmate Classification Manager

Mailing Addresses:  Driving Directions: 
  • Administration - Alexandria Sheriff's Office
    2003 Mill Road
    Alexandria, Virginia 22314
  • Courthouse - Alexandria Sheriff's Office
    520 King Street, Suite 308
    Alexandria, Virginia 22314
  • Detention Center - Alexandria Detention Center
    2001 Mill Road
    Alexandria, Virginia 22314
  • To Detention Center and Administration:
    From the west and south, take local lanes of I-95/I-495 (Capital Beltway) to Exit 176B (Telegraph Road North/Eisenhower Avenue) and follow signs for Eisenhower Avenue exit ramp. Turn right on Eisenhower and drive east to Mill Road. Turn right on Mill Road and bear right, following signs (see photo below) to the Sheriff’s Office and Detention Center at 2001/2003 Mill Road.

    From the east and north, take local lanes of I-95/I-495 (Capital Beltway) to Exit 176B (Telegraph Road North/Eisenhower Avenue) and follow signs to Eisenhower Avenue. On ramp, stay right and follow signs for Pershing Avenue. As ramp ends at light, turn right on Stovall Avenue and then proceed one block to Eisenhower Avenue. Turn left on Eisenhower and drive east to Mill Road. Turn right on Mill Road and bear right, following signs (see photo below) to the Sheriff’s Office and Detention Center at 2001/2003 Mill Road.
  • To Alexandria Courthouse: Take local lanes of I-95/I-495 (Capital Beltway) to Exit 177B (Route 1 North). Take Route 1 north toward downtown Alexandria, turn right on King Street, and then proceed to 520 King Street.


Mill Road Signs