On November 12 and 13, the Mayor's Campaign to End Bullying in Alexandria hosted two "Rise Above It" workshops for youth, teaching them how to deal with conflict and resolve disputes to rise above bullying and other life challenges. The hands-on discussions and group workshops were led by Major Chris Piercy of the U.S. Air Force. More than 70 Alexandria youth and teens attended the workshops.
"Rise Above It!" Workshops - November 12-13, 2019
Major Piercy (L) receives a gift bag from MCTEBC Chair, Mac Slover
from Patrick Henry Recreation Center
Major Piercy with workshop participants, MCTEBC members and city staff at Leonard "Chick" Armstrong Recreation Center
from Leonard "Chick" Armstrong Recreation Center
Major Piercy with workshop participants, MCTEBC members and city staff at Patrick Henry Recreation Center
Bullying Prevention Month 2019
In recognition of National Bullying Prevention Month 2019, the City hosted a series of activities through the Mayor's Campaign to End Bullying in Alexandria. The campaign works to raise awareness about how to identify, respond to, and prevent bullying. The month will kick off on Wednesday, October 2, at 7 p.m. when Mayor Justin Wilson issued a proclamation at the City Council meeting; additional activities included school and recreation center activities, Unity Day, and more.
During October--and every month, declare your support for a bully-free Alexandria! Pledge your support and receive information and resources on how you can help reduce bullying.
- National Bullying Prevention Month Proclamation 2019
- Cyberbullying Video
- Bullying Prevention Poster
- Take the Pledge! Pledge your support for a Bully-Free Alexandria. Email your completed forms to email@example.com
- Visit the Bully-Free Alexandria Twitter page--@BullyFreeAlexVA -- wear green and post your photo with #BullyFreeStartsWithMe
- Unity Day Flyer -- For all Alexandria youth and adults. Wear green and show your support for a Bully Free Alexandria! Hashtag your posts and photos with #BullyFreeStartsWithMe
- Anti-Bullying Coloring Sheets -- Bullying prevention messages for kids (and adults!) to color.
Bullying Prevention Month Event Partners:
- Alexandria Campaign on Adolescent Pregnancy
- Alexandria Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities
- 18th District Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court Service Unit
- Alexandria City Public Schools
- Alexandria Office of Communications and Public Information
- Alexandria Sheriff's Department
- Alexandria Police Department
- Partnership for a Healthier Alexandria
- Alexandria Health Department Teen Wellness Center
- Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition of Alexandria