The City of Alexandria received information from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (VDEQ) on Friday, May 3, regarding a Norfolk Southern proposal and permit request seeking to increase the number of rail cars containing ethanol offloaded at its transloading facility from the current 14 cars to 30 cars per day. The facility was previously exempted from VDEQ’s air permitting requirements. However, increased emissions resulting from expanded operations triggered the need for an air permit.
Alexandria City Manager Rashad Young has provided information to the Alexandria City Council outlining the Norfolk Southern proposal. The City has also sent a letter to the Northern Regional Office of VDEQ to formally request a public hearing be held in the City of Alexandria for this draft permit. This would enable the City and its residents to voice their opinions on this permit.
Virginia DEQ Responds to City's Request for Public Input
On June 10, the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality agreed to the City’s request for a public comment period, meeting and hearing on the draft air quality permit for Norfolk Southern’s expanded operations at their transloading facility. Because the draft permit has not been finalized, no dates have been set for the meetings. This page will be updated when the meetings are scheduled.
- Letter to Senator Mark Warner from Mayor William D. Euille - May 31, 2013
- Letter to Senator Tim Kaine from Mayor William D. Euille - May 31, 2013
- Letter to Congressman Jim Moran from Mayor William D. Euille - May 31, 2013
- Letter to Charles W. Moorman (Norfolk Southern Chairman/President/CEO) from Mayor William D. Euille - May 31, 2013
- Letter to Governor Robert F. McDonnell from the City’s General Assembly Delegation - On May 16, 2013, legislators representing residents of the City of Alexandria wrote a letter to Governor McDonnell requested that he direct the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality to hold an informational meeting and public hearing on the Norfolk Southern permit request.
- Alexandria City Council Resolution 2559 Regarding the Proposed Norfolk Southern Ethanol Transloading Facility Operations Increase - May 14, 2013
- Statement from Alexandria Mayor William D. Euille Regarding the Proposed Norfolk Southern Ethanol Transloading Facility Operations Increase