The goals of the City's Information Technology Services Department (ITS) are to:
- Effectively and efficiently manage the City’s information and technology assets to improve the delivery support and services to the enterprise.
- Strive, where practical, to reduce costs while improving the value of IT services to the City;
- Meet the business needs of the City departments through the application of appropriate information technologies solutions that are in line with the City’s strategic direction and goals.
- Exercise good stewardship in the development of information technology systems projects through the application of industry standard project management policies and practices that eliminates departmental stovepipes and aligns IT investments functional portfolios.
- Continue to improve the quality, quantity and access to electronic information and services for residents, businesses and City staff; and
- Seek, where practical, to implement joint IT projects with the City government, the Alexandria Library and the Alexandria City Public Schools
The ITS department includes the following groups that provide these services:
- Administrative Services - Responsible for department human resources, administrative management and financial management.
- Enterprise Business Systems Support - Consolidates the Applications and Database Management services and is responsible for the applications and enterprise database administration, data standardization, integration and information exchange. Programming and database administration are centrally managed here.
- Information Security Office - Responsible for the assessment, formulation, implementation and maintenance of enterprise-wide IT security policies and procedures.
- Operations - Consists of three sections, Help Desk, Telecommunications Systems and Operations with responsibility for end-user technical customer service support (Help Desk); telecommunications system planning and day-to-day troubleshooting and operations equipment deployment services; construction, moves, and relocation coordination; (Telecommunications Systems); processing scheduled production, data backup and restores (Operations).
- Network Management - Responsible for management of the Institutional Network (I-Net), email systems and enterprise server systems (including server replacement) and connectivity.
- Enterprise Project Portfolio Management - A central Project Management Office (PMO). Responsible for planning, management and assessment of enterprise IT capital projects, complex purchase management, budgeting and financial management.
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) - Development and distribution of map based data and applications and analytical services.
- Electronic Government (eGov): - Supports the technical development, design and management of the City's website and the many customer facing applications.