*NEW* 30% design plans are available!
Commonwealth Avenue is scheduled to be repaved in 2021 between King Street and Braddock Road. When streets are resurfaced, it provides an opportunity to upgrade elements of the street to better accommodate all roadway users. The goals and objectives for this project are listed below:
The project objectives below were developed through existing plans, best practice, and community input:
- Improve existing crossings and add new crossing opportunities
- Implement Safe Routes to School recommendations
- Increase visibility and pedestrian safety at intersections and crossings
- Reinstall and update traffic calming devices
- Update and enhance striping and signage along the corridor
Community Feedback Form (Spring 2019)
In spring 2019, the City of Alexandria Transportation & Environmental Services Department issued an online feedback form to gather community input on existing issues and potential improvements to the roadway. The top three issues that were reported by residents were:
- People driving failing to stop and/or yield
- Limited visibility at intersections
- Difficulty crossing the street
The feedback received contributed to the project objectives stated above. Click here to view a summary of the community feedback.
Comment period for 30% design plans (fall 2020)
After reviewing past public comments, existing City plans, and conditions in the field, staff has worked with an engineering consultant to develop draft roadway design plans for Commonwealth Avenue between King Street and Braddock Road. The community is asked to provide feedback on these plans no later than Thursday, October 15, 2020.
Here's how to participate:
1. View the project presentation.
2. Review the draft design plans.
3. Submit your comments via the online feedback form no later than October 15, 2020.
Staff will review and consider all comments as the design is further refined. Final plans are expected by Spring 2021.
Other Public Input Opportunities
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 public health crisis, the City will not be holding in-person public meetings for the time being. Instead, community engagement will be conducted primarily through online and virtual methods.
For questions or comments on this project, please contact Alex Carroll, Complete Streets Coordinator, at Alexandria.Carroll@alexandriava.gov.
30% Design Plans
The 30% design plans may be viewed here. These designs may be refined based on technical needs, site constraints, professional judgment, and public input. Final plans are expected by Spring 2021.
Concrete improvements are anticipated to be completed in Fall 2020. Street resurfacing, road marking, and signage improvements are planned for Spring 2021.