Seminary Road is a key corridor in the City of Alexandria’s transportation network, and is scheduled for repaving in the near future. The City's Complete Streets Policy highlights that staff should use repaving as an opportunity to consider and incorporate changes to enhance the safety and convenience of all users. The Seminary Road Complete Streets project will work with the community and stakeholders to determine roadway improvements for Seminary Road, from Quaker Lane to Kenmore Avenue, and at North Howard Street, where staff was awarded grant funding to improve pedestrian safety and accessibility.
Seminary Road was identified in the
Pedestrian and Bicycle Chapter of the
Transportation Master Plan for potential improvements to ensure the safety, mobility, and accessibility for all roadway users.. Data analysis conducted through the
Vision Zero Action Plan also showed that Seminary Road was a corridor with a high number of KSI (killed or seriously injured) crashes.
Since the reduction of the speed limit on Seminary (from Quaker to Library Lanes) in 2016, data has shown that safety has improved. However, to sustain this benefit, the roadway design must reflect the posted speed limit as well as encourage and better accommodate people walking, biking, driving, and riding transit.
The goals of the Seminary Road Complete Streets project are to:
- Improve safety and accessibility for all users
- Improve facilities for people who walk, bike, ride transit or drive cars
- Implement previously adopted plans, policies, and study recommendations
Schedule and Process
The project will last approximately six months and follow the process below:
Spring-Summer 2018- Information gathering and data analysis
- City staff will gather feedback from the community regarding their concerns with Seminary Road through:
- Complete Streets Repaving Feedback -- Click here
- Community Walkabout -- Saturday, May 12, at 12 p.m. (noon). Separate groups will meet at Seminary and N. Jordan, and at Seminary and N. Quaker. The two groups will walk along Seminary Road, stopping at intersections along the way, and meeting at St Stephens Road at approximately 12:45 p.m.
- Community open house meeting -- Tuesday, May 29th, 5:30 - 7:30pm, Beth El Hebrew Congregation, 3830 Seminary Road. Brief presentation at 6 p.m. followed by a 15-minute question and answer session.
Summer 2018- Concept Development
City staff will take the comments received and develop design concepts or a list of improvements to be further discussed with the community.
The street will be resurfaced in the Fall of 2018, or Spring of 2019.
Submit Your Comments
Staff are now collecting comments from the community via
the Complete Streets Feedback Form to supplement the comments received through other outreach efforts in the development of the
Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plan,
Vision Zero Program, the
Central Alexandria Traffic Study, and discussions with this community and civic associations.