City Council has requested that staff include a pilot program for the pedestrianization of the 100 block of King Street in their FY 2020 work plan. This project was originally discussed with the community through an extensive community engagement process in 2015 during the Lower King Street Multi-modal Feasibility Study.
Staff will be presenting the project to the Transportation Commission on January 15 at a public hearing and requesting endorsement of the project. The Waterfront Commission will consider endorsement at their January 21 meeting. The Traffic and Parking Board and City Council will receive an oral update at on the project and provide feedback to staff regarding the proposed elements of the pilot at their meetings on January 27 and 28, respectively.
Outreach and Engagement
The City, in partnership with Visit Alexandria, has been meeting with the impacted businesses to hear their concerns and get feedback on various design ideas. Staff is also working through the Waterfront and Transportation Commissions to get input on the project that will ultimately inform the proposed pilot program. Additionally, the project has been discussed at the Old Town Business and Civic Associations.
Community Engagement & Process
- Waterfront Commission - Feedback (December 17, 2019)
- Transportation Commission - Feedback (December 18, 2019)
- Old Town Civic Association - Feedback (January 8, 2020)
- Visit Alexandria Board Meeting - Feedback (January 14, 2020)
- Transportation Commission (Public Hearing) - Endorsement (January 15, 2020)
- Small Business Development Center's Business Association Meeting - Feedback (January 16, 2020)
- Old Town Business Association - Feedback (January 21, 2020)
- Waterfront Commission - Endorsement (January 21, 2020)
- Public Open House - Feedback (January 23, 2020)
- Traffic and Parking Board - Feedback (January 27, 2020)
- City Council - Feedback (January 28, 2020)
- City Council - Approval (February 25, 2020)
- Special Events Committee - Approval
- Traffic and Parking Board (Public Hearing) – Approval (March 23, 2020)
If approved, Staff will finalize design and start the procurement process in February and March. The pilot is targeted to launch in mid-April.