Did You Know?...
Collects approximately 700 tons of appliances, trash and debris during our annual Solid Waste and Alexandria Beautification Commission Spring Clean-Up.
- Leaf Recycling:
Collects approximately 20,000 cubic yards of leaves each year.
- Leaf Mulch:
Grinds and delivers over 7,000 cubic yards of leaf mulch to residents each year.
Recycles over 15.50 million pounds of newspaper, aluminum, plastic, glass, and old appliances each year.
- Sewer Liner:
Installs approximately 3,000 feet of sewer liner into existing sanitary sewers each year.
- Asphalt Paving:
Paves approximately 60 lane miles of residential and arterial streets each year.
- Street Maintenance:
Cleans and maintains over 20,000 lane miles on an each year.
- Traffic Signals:
Maintains the City's 215 traffic signals
- Parking Meters:
Collects coins, and maintains 1,000 parking meters in the City of Alexandria
- Chesapeake Bay:
Administers and enforces the "Chesapeake Bay" regulations to protect and restore our local streams and the Bay.
Administers and enforces the City's wetland protection regulations.
- Watershed Management:
Administers a comprehensive watershed protection program.
Administers and enforces the City's Noise Ordinance.
- Environmental Quality:
Administers and enforces the "Erosion and Sediment Control" a regulatory program protecting the City's water bodies from sedimentation and erosion due to construction activity.
Meets with civic and citizen associations to discuss a variety of issues including traffic calming, pedestrian safety, solid waste, and infrastructure issues.
250 bicyclists participate in an annual "Bike to Work Day" Program hosted by T&ES, Transit Services
- Construction & Inspection:
issues approximately 2000 permits each year.
Important Phone Numbers
Construction & Inspection 703.746.4035
- Oversees City street, sewer, and sidewalk construction
- Issues permits for activities on the public-right-of-way including construction, and temporary emergency parking
- Soil Erosion Control Enforcement
Engineering & Design 703.746.4045
- Engineering & design advice and services for all City requirements
- Locations of rights-of-way, easements, and real estate agreements
- Street light outage/repair reporting in coordination with Dominion Virginia Power or you can use our on-line street light problem reporting system by clicking on this link .
Office of Environmental Quality 703.746.4065
- Investigates air pollution complaints, and noise pollution complaints including loudspeakers, air conditioners, engine noises
- Involved with water quality, watershed, and stormwater management programs and stormwater best management practice facility inspections.
Public Works Services Division 703.746.4488
- To request repairs for potholes, streets, bridges, sidewalks, curbs, gutters, storm and sanitary sewers, and fire hydrants. You can also use our on-line sidewalk problem reporting system by clicking on this link .
- Responsible for snow and ice removal
- To report downed trees and limbs you can call the City arborist at 703-838-4999 during normal business hours. After hours, please call the Alexandria Police Department's non-emergency number at 703-838-4444. You can also send an email to the arborist at this link .
Resource Recovery Division 703.746.4410
- Street sweeping, litter collection, seasonal leaf pick-up program
- Residential refuse & recyclable materials (newspaper, glass, plastic, aluminum) You can also use our on-line problem reporting system to request a new recycling bin by clicking on this link .
- Collection of white goods (stoves, washers, dryers, refrigerators, etc.)
- Household hazardous waste materials disposal
Transit Services 703.746.4075
- City bus stop, shelter & bench maintenance
- DASH Bus & public transportation information
- Car pool & ridematching information
- City DOT paratransit transportation program
Transportation Division 703.746.4747
- Install & maintain traffic signals, traffic signs, parking meters, pavement markings
- Conduct traffic surveys
- Coordinate traffic on City streets for parades & other special events
- Oversee the City vehicle impound lot
- In the event of an emergency involving a traffic signal or sign, please call 703.746.4747.