Landing-Potomac Yard Metroway
Since its launch in August 2014, the National Landing-Potomac Yard Metroway provides frequent Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) premium service between the Braddock Road Metro Station and Pentagon City Metro Station, with service through the Alexandria and Arlington sections of Potomac Yard and the Crystal City area of Arlington. This is one of three planned BRT routes in Alexandria.
The existing Metroway route is mostly complete, and several projects are planned to improve the service on the corridor over the next several years. As these projects move forward, links will be provided to the project pages for each of these projects.
- Construction of the Potomac Yard Metrorail station is underway. A new Metroway bus station will serve this location.
- Phase 1 of the North Potomac Yard redevelopment project has begun. The current Metroway station located on Potomac Avenue will be open throughout the construction, and a new permanent station will be constructed as part of the development, linking the new Virginia Tech Innovation Center Campus and other new buildings as part of that development.
- An extension of the Route 1 (Richmond Highway) dedicated transit lanes will be constructed as part of Phase 2 of the North Potomac Yard redevelopment. This extension will add approximately 1000’ of dedicated transit lanes between East Glebe Road and Evans Lane and include a new southbound station at East Glebe Road.
- Planning for the ultimate cross section of Potomac Avenue, including the location of the permanent Metroway stations at the new Metrorail Station and Virginia Tech campus, will begin in late 2021 in coordination with Arlington County.
- Arlington is also beginning the planning of the ultimate cross section for their portion of Potomac Avenue between Four Mile Run and South Glebe Road.
- Design has begun for additional stations and dedicated transit lanes between the existing 18th Street station and Pentagon City Metrorail Station. This includes the construction of 5 new Metroway Stations.
Use WMATA’s Bus Ridership Data Viewer to see ridership numbers for Metroway and all other WMATA bus routes. For Metroway ridership, click “MW1” in the “Filter: Service Type” column.
- Documented Categorical Exclusion for Section B of the Crystal City/Potomac Yard Transitway (Route 1 BRT) - March 2, 2011
- Conceptual Plans for Section B runningway (from the Documented Categorical Exclusion) - March 2, 2011
- CCPY Transitway Operations Plan - January 2012
- 30% Concept Design Plans for Section B of the Transitway (Route 1 BRT) - July 8, 2011
- 60% design plans – part 1 – April 2012
- 60% design plans – part 2 – April 2012
- 60% design plans – part 3 – April 2012
- 60% design plans – part 4 – April 2012
- City Council Presentation - May 2012
- City Council Docket Item - May 2012