The next meeting of the Parking Standards Task Force for Phase 2 will be Tuesday, June 20th at 7:00 PM at City Hall in the Sister Cities Conference Room (1101). Members of the public are welcome and encouraged to attend.
Phase 2 Meetings and Materials
- Zoning Ordinance - Article 8 (Off-Street Parking and Loading)
- Parking Districts and Overlays Map
- Parking Standards for Other Jurisdictions
- Parking Policies and Strategies
- Alexandria TMP Tiers
- Background Parking Literature
- Kick-off Event (February 6, 2017) with Todd Litman of the Victoria Transport Policy Institute (Video, Presentation)
At the direction of City Council, the City commenced a study to review the City's parking standards which have not had a comprehensive review since the 1960's, and propose updated parking standards that reflect existing parking demand and market trends. Non-auto travel (including transit use, cycling and walking) has steadily increased since the City's current standards were set and there are indications that per household car ownership is declining in areas with better access to transit. To assist with this effort, the City Council established the Parking Standards for New Development Projects Task Force (Task Force) to work with City staff in reviewing existing parking standards and updating standards for new development projects. The nine-member Task Force provided input on revisions to the City's parking requirements for new multi-family residential development projects.
Phase 1 of this two phase project focused on new residential development parking standards and was completed in April 2015 with an amendment to the Zoning Ordinance. The Parking Standards for Multi-family Residential Development Projects Guiding Document provides an overview of the new standards and instructions on applying them to new development projects. Phase 2 of the study is now underway and will evaluate the parking standards for new commercial development, including office, hotel, restaurant, retail, and child care uses.
Phase 1 - Meeting Materials
April 18, 2015 - City Council Public Hearing
- City Council Public Hearing Staff Report
- City Council Public Hearing Presentation
- City Council Public Hearing After Items
- March 16, 2015 - Environmental Policy Commission Regular Meeting
- January 27, 2015 - City Council Work Session
- January 6, 2015 - Planning Commission Work Session
- December 17, 2014 - Transportation Commission Work Session
Task Force Meeting #6 - Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - (Location: City Hall, Room 2000, 301 King Street)
- Draft Proposed Zoning Text Amendment March 20, 2015
- Task Force Feedback/Staff Response
- Draft Guiding Document March 20, 2015
Task Force Meeting #5 - Thursday, March 12, 2015 - (Location: City Hall, Room 2000, 301 King Street)
- TF Meeting #5 - Meeting Summary
- TF Meeting #5 - Agenda
- Draft Proposed Zoning Text Amendment March 11, 2015
- TF Meeting #5 - Presentation
Task Force Meeting #4 - Wednesday, October 22, 2014 (Location: City Council Work Room, City Hall, Second Floor).
- TF Meeting #4 - Agenda
- TF Meeting #4 - Presentation
- TF Meeting #4 - Meeting Summary
- TF Meeting #4 - Project Schedule
- Revised Walkshed 1
- Revised Walkshed 2
Task Force Meeting #3 - Wednesday, June 3, 2014 at 7pm (Location: Lee Center)
The third meeting of the Parking Standards for New Development Projects Task Force focused on local and national parking tools and best practices. Cheryl Cort, Policy Director for the Coalition for Smarter Growth, provided a presentation on DC's parking policies and tools.
- TF Meeting #3 - Agenda
- TF Meeting #3 - Meeting Summary
- TF Meeting #3 - Audio
- TF Meeting #3 - Cheryl Cort Bio
- TF Meeting #3 - Staff Presentation
- TF Meeting #3 - Coalition for Smarter Growth Presentation
- TF Meeting #3 - Local Jurisdictions Best Practices
- TF Meeting #3 - Local and National Best Practices
- TF Meeting #3 - Local and National Best Practices At-A-Glance
Task Force Meeting #2 - Wednesday, May 14 at 7pm (Location: Charles Houston Recreation Center)
The second meeting of the Parking Standards for New Development Projects Task Force focused on the results of the City's data collection efforts and analysis. The Task Force began to explore the factors impacting the demand for residential parking.
- TF Meeting #2 - Agenda
- TF Meeting #2 - Presentation
- TF Meeting #2 - Glossary of Frequently Used Terms
- TF Meeting #2 - Parking Data Collection Results
- TF Meeting #2 - Data Collection Sites Map
- TF Meeting #2 - Small Area Map (Planning)
- TF Meeting #2 - Growth Pressures Map
- TF Meeting #2 - 2012 Vehicle Ownership
- TF Meeting #2 - Follow Up Items from TF Meeting #1
Task Force Meeting #1 - Wednesday, April 9 at 7pm (City Council Work Room, City Hall, 301 King Street, Alexandria, VA)
The first meeting of the Parking Standards for New Development Projects Task Force focused on current demographics and trends and existing Alexandria parking policies and practices. Staff also discussed the process and methodology of the parking study and future meeting topics.
- TF Meeting #1 - Agenda
- TF Meeting #1 - Presentation
- TF Meeting #1 - Handout (FAQs and Glossary)
- TF Meeting #1 - Revised Summary
Expert Panel Event - Monday, March 31 at 7pm (Lyceum, 201 S. Washington Street, Alexandria, VA)
The City hosted an expert panel event, "Why Right-Sized Parking Matters: National and Regional Best Practices, Local Level Implementation, Impacts & Community Benefits". The panel featured three speakers with extensive knowledge about parking issues from three perspectives: local and national research, local public policy and implementation, and private development. The featured speakers included: Chris B. Leinberger, Nonresident Senior Fellow with the Brookings Institute; Harriet Tregoning, Director for the Office of Sustainable Housing and Communities HUD & Former Director of the DC Office of Planning; and W. Clarke Ewart, Senior Principal with Paradigm Companies. The event was recorded and the video may be view HERE .